Lovestruck: When the Serpent Has Fallen

Third Draft

By icenearth

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

Lily Andrews should had given most of her precious time preparing for the Midnight Gala than having a nonsense, colloquial conversation in a high-class cafe with Rick Gilmore, one out of the sixteen men who were desperately trying to catch her attention, and probably, her affection.

She was just wasting her time with this foolish geek, she thought. If it was not for Rick's current position-- being the head graphics and design editor of the Un Papillon Magazine, she definitely wouldn't show up. Lily just heaved a profound sigh as if the boredom and a little regret of coming over could somehow escape from her mouth.

"So, as I was saying..." Rick seemed oblivious with Lily's growing annoyance as he, placing his hand on hers over the table, continued his alluring words, hoping that she could also fall for him like the way he is now towards her. But poor Rick. Little did he know that she had no any interests over him and that this gorgeous lady he set his eyes upon was just using his authority at her advantage.

Yes. She was using her irresistable appearance to get whatever she wants. And so, most of the times, she could easily make men fall down to her heels. Who would ever not fall with Lily Andrews' charms, anyway?

Her blonde, rich curls extending down to her shoulders, her fair, smooth complexion, her mesmerizing deep, green eyes, and to top it all, her almost perfect curve and stature, could indeed make any guy stick their eyes on her without even a blink. In other words, she was a perfect epitome of a goddess descended on earth, just right to renowned her to be the 'Queen of Fashion Industry'. However, not because her beauty was recognized by people, everyone were pleased of her success.

"...so, what d'you say?" asked Rick, still wearing his bright smile.

"Pardon me?" This time, Lily forced herself to get away from her reverie and pay attention on the man in front of her. Well, though not whole-heartedly, but at least she tried to lend her ears on him.

"About... us?" The man stared directly at her with hopeful eyes. He was indeed into her, but Lily felt a little jolt down her spine as she met his gaze. This is not so good, she told herself.

"Um. About that..." Lily managed to find her voice that seemed snared somewhere in her throat. She slowly pulled her hand off of him as she grabbed her half-full wine glass and immediately gulped it once.

"Rick," she finally said after gaining a moment of composure. "I really do appreciate you. I never asked too much from you, but you always give me the best as you can. And so, for that, I am really grateful," she smiled. "However..." Lily suddenly trailed off.

Her attention was instantly shifted to the man across their seats who was directly staring at her eyes. He suddenly smiled at Lily, which then the lady found it really absurd. Of course, she knew that guy. But seeing him right at that moment, and smiling at her at the drop of a hat with no any sign of grudge, seemed undoubtedly something was not quite right.

What on earth does he doing here? Lily couldn't help not to scowl in disbelief.

"Lily?" Rick snapped her back, making her almost jump on her seat. "Are you alright?" Lily fixed her eyes again to him but unaware that she left her mouth hang quite open.

At her look, she seemed surprised and at the same time, annoyed. Rick found it strange, furrowing his thick brows beneath his large, round glasses. Noticing the lady's sudden change of mood, he tried to turn his back to figure out what made Lily act so weird. However, the latter was more alert, snapping him back to their own business.