Chapter 14

I looked at my slightly swollen belly in the mirror. I wondered what was going on in there.

I place my hand over it. I think I need to go to the doctor, but I'm not sure. I sighed and pulled my shirt over my stomach. I sat on the bed.

I dialed Tara's number, listening to it ring. She picked up on the third ring. "Oh, hey Alex! I haven't spoken to you in a while." Her cheery voice said through the phone.

"I know! I was just pretty bored, so I wanted to know if you wanted to go get lunch or something." I said, a smile lighting up my face.

"That would be great! We can bring the kids. How does McDonald's sound?" Tara asked.

"I'm sure Evelyn would love that! Meet you there in say, 30 minutes?" I asked.

"Yup, see you there! Bye!"

"Bye!" I said, hanging up. I padded over to Evelyn's room and knocked.

I cracked open the door slightly. "Hey sweetie, you want to go to McDonald's with Tara, Brandon, and Brett?" I asked.

She nodded eagerly. "Yeah! I need to change!" She said, hopping up off her bed.

"Okay, we have 30 minutes." I chuckled, closing the door. I went into our bedroom and turned on the hot water.

I stripped off my clothes and jumped into the shower. I washed my body with vanilla scented soap, and my hair with green apple.

I shut off the water and dried myself off. I decided to wear some jean shorts, and a black tank top with a colorful tribal print bandeau under it. I slipped on some black sandals, a silver cross necklace, and a flowery bracelet.

As I looked in the mirror, I could faintly see the little baby bump outline.

  I tossed my hair up into a ponytail and put on some mascara and eyeliner. I perched my sunglasses on top of my head.

I grabbed my black purse and headed over to Evelyn's room, where she was struggling to tie her shoe.

I laughed and knelt down to help her. I tried her shoes and she gave me a grateful smile. "Thanks."

"No problem, now let's go." I said, picking her up. I grabbed my keys from the hook and jumped into my car. I decided that Evelyn could sit up front with me, so I set her car seat in the front passenger seat.

I buckled her in and started the car. I turned up the radio, and the song Real Life by Jake Owen came on.

I sang along with the lyrics as I drove towards McDonald's. Once we reached there, I helped Evelyn unbuckle and get out. I grabbed her small hand and we walked towards the door.

When we entered, I was greeted by the sound of screaming children and the smell of French fries.

I saw Tara and her boys sitting at a table, so I made my way over to them, pulling Evelyn along with me.

"Hey!" I said, stopping at the table.

"Oh, hey Alex!" Tara said, a smile. She pulled me into a hug. I patted her back.

Tara pulled away and told the kids to go play. "Wait, Evelyn. What do you want to eat?" I asked, kneeling down to her level.

"Can I have chicken nuggets please?" She asked.

I smiled and nodded. "Sure, now go have fun." I told her, patting her head.

Evelyn ran off and started climbing something. I laughed and turned to Tara. "Do you want to go order now?" I asked.