Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

"What ye doing lass?" I spoke through gritted teeth. There was no point trying to hide my arousal, she had already felt it.

She turned round, trying to feign an innocent look but a cheeky smirk spread on her face, "nothing, I was just a little uncomfortable."

"Now I see why ye decided to stay here with me lass." I chuckled, rubbing against her in a painfully sensual revenge.

"Well I wouldn't stay for the bloody battles and scenery. All that matters is the topless warriors and super hot sex." Rose bit her lip.

"What happened to my little Rose?" I brushed a kiss on her temple.

"She came back a changed woman. No little girls here anymore. And I know what I want. You." Rose rested her head on my chest as she looked up into my eyes before turning away, putting her hand over mine that wrapped around her waist.

"Aye lass and I want ye. And I ain't ever letting ye go again."

We emerged from the woods after a few hours of slowly trekking through the woods single file. The sun was in the middle of the sky, harshly beating down on us and I begged for rain to relieve the heat. Ares was the first horse to emerge, galloping into the vast hillside when he saw the freedom ahead.

He ran far over the first hill, enjoying the space around him. Ares was a battle horse, although he had to encounter small spaces sometimes he enjoyed running along the edge of the battle and around to the enemy's side, where I could strike down the leaders of the enemy warriors.

He was fast when he had more space to run and Rose let out a shriek of fear when he sudden broke into a run. Her arms shot behind her to hold on to me and I tightened the grip I had around her waist.

Whilst he enjoyed his freedom my eyes scanned the area around us looking for landmarks and familiar scenery that could tell me where we were.

My eyes caught on the large hunk of grey that was far out in the distance. A single clan flag was barely visible in the distance.

The thundering of hooves came from behind me and I turned Ares to see Graham and the other warriors galloping out of the forest and down the hill. They gathered around me in a semicircle, their eyes wandering to the castle in the distance.

"Is that McCain castle Laird?" one of the warriors shouted out.

"Aye boy. Their colours are yellow and brown." I replied, pointing at the noticeably yellow flat hanging in the air.

"It would take us a hard days ride today and half of tomorrow I think Laird," Graham strutted up beside us, "we should make it there by noon tomorrow."

"Let's waste no time. We don't know where McKenzie's warriors are now and the faster we have our allies the quicker we can battle McKenzie and end this forsaken war once and for all."

The warriors around me cheered out in agreement, raising their swords high into the air. A feeling a pride ran through me and a smile widened on my face. My warriors backed me in all decisions (though recent events showed that some backed down in the face of the supernatural). I was their Laird and their leader but I was also more than that. I was their brother, their fellow soldier who was risking his life as well for peace in the highlands for their families, for my clan.

"I want someone to scout ahead and check the land up to the castle. Wait the edge of the surrounding village for us to arrive," I said, "Blair how about ye?"

"Aye Laird, I'll go!" Blair said enthusiastically.

"You can't send Blair, he's only a boy!" Rose spoke out in astonishment and retaliation. Her face was a mixture of shock and fear, I presumed, for Blair.