Chapter 4 ~ It's Not Easy Being a Teenage Freak

Adam’s POV

(Sep 8, 6:37, Locker Room After Football Practice)

            “Hey, Adam!” Tobi yelled at me from the other end of the locker room. I was just angrily shoving my football pads in my locker when Tobi yells my name. “Are you going home with me, or is someone coming to get you?”

            “I’m coming,” I mumble as I slam my locker.

            Tobi smiles at me as I walk around the corner. “What?” I ask. “Dude, you’re being creepy-stalker again.”

            “Where’s your girlfriend?” Mason says in a mocking voice. He thinks he rules the world, but he’s an absolute idiot. “I think someone like you could do a little better than Owl!” With that, the entire locker room erupted with laugher.

            Without thinking about it too much, I punched that bonehead as hard as I could. I hit him just in the right spot so that I know that his eye will go black and his nose will break. I actually could feel it snap.

            “Adam!” Tobi snapped and put a hand on my shoulder. “Come on, let’s get out of here.”

            Someone howled with laughter. “Nobody gets between a boy and his nerd!” the voice mocked.

            Tobi held me back. “Let’s just leave, alright?” he said. “We’ll go and run in the woods. That willl help you blow off some steam. We don't want an all-out war. Again.”

            It took us ten minutes to drive to the woods behind Tobi’s house. I needed to burn off energy, to let everything out or else I would kill someone.

            Gosh, Mason was such an idiot, along with most of the football team. They all seemed to be the D average students, and they weren’t the smartest anyways.

            Slowly, I shifted into a wolf. Tobi did the same as me, turning into the full white wolf that was his true self.

            All I could think about was Owl, there wasn’t a moment that she didn’t cross my mind. Once on a paper today, I actually wrote ‘Owl’ where name was. This whole mate thing was going to drive me insane.

            How do you do this? I said to Tobi in my mind. The way that wolves communicate while we were in wolf form was though minds. That’s how we can keep connected to each other. This whole ‘mate’ thing is going to drive me crazy.

            You get use to it, and after a while it’s kind of nice to know that you found her, Tobi says and starts to run faster.

            I sigh. If you say so. It’s just really weird, all I can think about is Owl. At least you’re mate doesn’t have wings. She’s a wolf.

            Tobi skidded to a stop because the river was right in front of us. He bent down and started lapping up the fresh water. At least you’re both freaks, you can be happily freaky together. That won’t be so bad, right?

            It would be easier if we were the same kind of freaks.

Owl’s POV

(September 8, 4:35, Owl’s House)

            “Owl, let me see your arm,” says Emmet, one of the scientists who created me. I grip the side of my bed as he slipped a needle into a vein in my arm. They took my blood at least once a week. Sometimes more.

            Things were worse when I was younger. They made me swallow chemicals to see how I would react to it, operate on me for no known reason, and sometimes they would ‘forget’ to feed me like I was an unloved pet.

            Which, technically, I was sometimes.

            They have gotten better at taking care of me. It started in about fifth grade that they actually cared about me. They helped me with my homework, I got all A’s in fifth grade, and they showed me the joys of being an absolute geek. Every night, we would watch Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Doctor Who, etc. I started to become friends with them.

            “Good girl, Owl,” Emmet says. My arm stung from the needle. In his hand he now held a syringe full of red blood that was mine. He gave me a glass of water, and I sucked it down within seconds. “Some of the others are starting The Hobbit. Do you want me to scoop you a bowl of ice cream?”

            I nod. Emmet was by far my favorite scientist. He was one of the crazier ones, and the smarter ones. He was kind of the lead nerd.

            I sit myself down between Tony and Bay. They are twins, and they both look the same with light curly hair and freckles. Their nicknames are Pippin and Merry.

            There were four scientists in the house along with me. The fourth was Billy. Billy just started to work for these guys, he’s fresh out of college. Billy is quiet, and he doesn’t say much. Billy and I don’t come into much contact though. I barely see him.