Chapter 3 ~ First Date PART 2

Owl’s POV

(Treehouse, 9:34 p.m.)

            “Golly,” I whisper as I look at the woodwork of the inside of the tree house. It’s amazing. “Did Tobi do this?”

            “Tobi and I,” Adam says with his hands in his pockets as if it’s no big deal. “We were in seventh grade when we needed a place of our own to get away from our insane families.”

            I smile. I bite my tongue when I remember that Adam came from a big family. He has three older brothers and two younger sisters. This happens all the time, I remember the tiniest details about people but I have to keep quiet because I sound like a stalker when I say them to people. Especially since I remembered this back in seventh grade.

            “Do you have any siblings?” Adam asks me. I was so engulfed in the wood of the tree; I have a strange obsession with wood, when I don’t even notice that Adam was standing behind me. So close that I can fell him breathing on my neck.

            “No!” I shout, but as soon as I did I slapped my hand over my mouth. As soon as I yelled, Adam grabs my wrist as if it was muscle memory, like playing a song on the violin for the umpteenth time. As soon as his hand wrapped around my wrist, he let it go. I didn’t mean to shout. I didn’t mean to, but I have a dark past with my family. “Sorry, in my head I didn’t yell,

 I say as my face turns as red as my shirt.

            He half smiles at me. “It’s okay. I thought that you saw something. . . or something. Sorry about that.”

            I turn around to look at him in the eye, but he is looking at the ground. “Are you okay?” I asked. His face looked hard, and just him grabbing my wrist creeped me out. I wasn’t sure why. I’m not the kind of person who does well in situations like this, so I put a hand on his forehead. “Gosh, you feel like you have a fever,” I say in a joking tone.

            Adam smiled. “Owl, can I show you something?” he asked.

            “Something besides this amazing tree house?” I say.

            He nods and leads me down the latter of the tree house. “I don’t want you to be afraid,” he said, and I was taken aback. Adam never sounded this serious. Where’s the idiot jock? Did he get lost somewhere?        

            Adam takes both of my hands. “I have to show you this. Owl, you’ve heard of legends about werewolves, right?”

            I shrug. “Sure, I’ve read Twilight.”

            Adam shakes his head. “Well, then this might soften the blow. Stand back, okay. Just don’t run away. Promise me, okay?”

            I nod and take a few steps away from Adam. Slowly, before my eyes, Adam’s skin covered in blonde fur, and he grows into a werewolf.

            “Oh, my gosh,” I whisper. Adam’s eyes are the size of baseballs, and they were looking at me as if I was a meal. Just as soon as he switched into a werewolf, he was back to Adam.

            My face leaks of all color. I can physically feel it. “Don’t freak out,” Adam said to me and walked up to me. “Owl, I’m a werewolf.”

            “I figured, golly, I just watched you turn into a wolf!”

            Adam put his arms around me. I was physically shaking. “You’re okay. Owl, Tobi and Star are werewolves too. They’re mates, so one day they’re going to be married because they were meant for each other. When you see your mate, you just know that it’s them. Owl Nile, you’re mine.”

            I push away from Adam. I couldn’t help but to be stunned. “Adam,” I said in a quiet voice. “This isn’t going to work.”

            He nervously laughed. “Owl, I know this is freaky, but  I promise this will be okay.”

            Tears are threatening to spill. “Adam, you’ve been completely honest with me. I need to be honest with you.”

            Slowly, I unfold my wings. Don’t believe me? Pssh. My wings are far cooler than yours. My wings are almost all white with bits of brown swirled into it. My wings remind me of cookie dough ice cream.

            Adam put out one hand to my left wing to feel the feathers. “No way,” he whispers. “Is your family like this?”

            I shook my head. “No, I don’t have a family .I don’t even know who my real parents are. I grew up with scientists. They made me in a test tube as a baby. The reason I was such a nerd in junior high was because I grew up with nerds. When I met Star, she turned my geek side and brought out this side of me. Do you see why this can’t work now?”

            Adam shook his head and put his arms back around me. It was getting cold, and Adam felt incredibly warm. “This has to be, Owl,” he says. “I can’t stay away from you now. Literally. I couldn’t if I tired.”

            “What?” I ask folding my wings in.

            “It’s in werewolf DNA,” he says. “I’ll get sick if I can’t be with you.”

            “Oh, Adam,” I whisper as I feel a raindrop on my head.

            “It’s getting cold, we should bring you inside.”