Chapter 2: The Meet

Start from the beginning

"So, why the creepy cloak?" the mage asked her. "Trying to hide from someone you know?"

The Slayer's back grew rigid but then relaxed. She knew that he did not know about her. She shook her head and let out a nervous laugh.

"No. It's just the outfit," she lied. Laura wondered if he knew that though but the stranger did not pursue the subject further than it already was.

"Name's Gale Redfox," he extended one hand. "What about yours?"

The eighteen-year-old placed her glass down on the table top and wiped her damp hands on her skirt. She had contemplated on lying to him since she knew that they would not meet again after this but she did not. Laura took his hand and gave it a firm shake. "Laura Kobayashi , pleasure to meet you."

"What are you doing out here anyway?" Gale questioned, looking at her inquisitively.

Laura took another swallow of her drink to buy her some time. She had to think up of some kind of excuse to give him.

"I-I...well, I got kind of lost..." she stuttered, regretting the words almost instantly. The justification was ridiculous and judging by the guy's face, he too saw through her lie.

Gale smirked. "Can't tell, huh? I'll live, don't worry."

"Sorry," Laura replied woefully.

"Are you in any guild?"

The girl blinked, staring at him in bewilderment. "Pardon me?"

"A guild?" repeated, this time slightly doubtful. "Do you even know what a guild is?"

I didn't even know that they existed at all...

Laura shook her head. "What are they?"

"Guilds are large groups of mages that band together...something like a brotherhood. Do quests and stuff like that," he explained.

The Slayer listened in fascination. "Are you in one as well?"

Laura could detect a minor change in his expression but it vanished as soon as it did. He gave her a smile and changed the subject. "How about joining up with Fairy Tail instead?"

"Non non. Come over to our side, my dear," a voice cut in smoothly.

Laura's eyes widened and she looked up to find a very gorgeous-looking guy who looked not much older, staring down at her.

"Blue Pegasus; Killen Lates ," Gale spoke up flatly.

Without warning, he reached over and gently drew back her hood. Her long black hair with purple highlights spilled out, cascading gently past her shoulders.

The two of them stared at each other, stunned. A second passed before Laura hastily covered her face with her hood. "What are you doing?" she demanded crossly.

"Please forgive my insolence, Laura Kobayashi ," Killen told her with a charming smile as he kneeled before her and kissed her hand.

The Slayer jerked her hand from his and wiped it roughly on her cloak. "That's sickening; mind you, how in heaven's name do you know me when I've never met you in my life," she snapped.

"I heard you talking with him earlier on," he told her as he took the other vacant seat beside her.

"So, why did you come here for besides the obvious?" Gale asked him, his voice saturated with scorn.

Killen smirked. "What I do here happens to be none of your concern after last time."

That did it. The nineteen-year-old man was out of his seat so fast that Laura did not have time to react. His hands were wrapped around Killen's collar.

"Try saying that again?" he snarled threateningly.

Laura knew that this was going to start spiraling into a bad episode. She had to intervene somehow but she did not want to be at the receiving end of someone's punch especially Gale's. The eighteen-year-old was about to throw herself bodily in between the two males but someone else had already beaten her to it.

"Stand down Gale," a deep voice ordered. "Killen doesn't mean any harm when he said that." The stranger was yet another attractive older guy with an artificial tan.

The muscular mage refused to back down as he turned to the intruder with a smirk. "Ren Akatsuki, huh?" There was a note of challenge in Gale's voice. Before Ren could say anything, Laura quickly placed a trembling hand on Gale's own. He turned to her, irritated and she shook her head at him. He muttered something crude under his breath, shoved Killen aside and shrugged off the girl's hand. He grabbed his duffel and left the bar.

Mute, Laura could only stare at his retreating back in bewilderment.

"And what do we have here?" Ren spoke up, leaning forward. He acted like the previous incident did not just happen.

Instinctively, Laura backed up a step and held her hands up. "I just came here for a drink is all," she laughed nervously. "Nothing unusual there though."

He stepped nearer to her. "Yeah, but what's unusual is a pretty girl like you is without a guild. Why don't you join us and be a member of the Blue Pegasus Guild?"

"I'm not a mage," Laura lied automatically. "So I'm afraid you got the wrong girl."

The two of them stared at her wordlessly, caught off-guard.

"But you're so cute..." Ren began.

"Nope, I'm as absolutely normal as they come," the eighteen-year-old insisted audaciously. "If you would be so kind to excuse me, I have some chores that I have to urgently attend to."

Laura knew that this was her chance to escape while these two tried to digest her 'truths'. Quickly, she made her way to the door.

"What about a mascot?" Ren called out hopefully. "You'll make an awesome one."

In response, Laura simply bowed politely and ran out of the door.

"Oh well..." Ren sighed unhappily. "At least we tried."

A little too hard, in my opinion...

Killen's gaze travelled over to the spot where the girl was standing earlier and shook his head obstinately. "No Ren, that girl is lying to us."

The thirty-year-old stared at his young team mate in puzzlement. "What are you talking about?"

"Laura Kobayashi is a mage, there's no doubt about it."