Chapter 15

Hi!

Time for another chapter, and I have to tell you that I absolutely LOVE this one. I kept rereading and editing it, because it just was so much fun!!!! So I'm really curious what you think about it... Any objections to what's happening in the story?  Please let me know!

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 15

Someone was banging on the door. It was a mystery to me why he or she wasn't using the damned doorbell. Hell, how late was it anyway? I glanced at my watch while I dragged myself up, feeling Laura stir. Almost six a.m.

I walked to the door, trying to feel – see with that other eye – who was outside. I closed my eyes, reaching out into the world of second sight. Nearly cloudlike auras of black nothingness and faint light red formed and built up in my vision. My heartbeat quickened. It couldn't be? I yanked open the door. Alexander was standing in front of me, holding a huddled, bruised form in his hands.

"Ryan." I had time to say that much before Laura pushed past me. She grabbed the doorframe and almost collapsed on the doorstep.

"Ryan!!"

"You have to invite me in," Alexander said casually, as if he was unaffected by what was happening around him.

"Come in!" Laura said, before I even had a chance to raise objections.

Bravo, Laura. Now the head vampire of New York has free access to our apartment.

I shook my head and gave them enough room to maneuver inside, telling myself that this was not the right moment to curse Laura for her blind trust in the non-breathers among us. The most important thing was that Ryan was back, save and sound. I could deal with the rest later. Whatever it was.

The vampire walked past me and followed Laura into the living room to lie Ryan down on the couch. His skin was an undistinguishable pattern of bruises and cuts. Some still fresh and open.

"Oh, my god!! Ryan! Is he... is he...?" Laura spluttered. I pretended I didn't hear the raw fear, the shards of glass and the pain, in her voice.

"He is alive. There are no major injuries from what I can tell," Alexander replied in a low voice.

"Thank you, thank you for what you did for us." Laura stared at Alexander for an instant before she went down on her knees and took her brother's hand gently. "Ryan, can you hear me?"

He squeezed his eyes open and blinked once or twice, groaning.

"Ryan, you moron! You scared the crap out of me," Laura yelled, before she started sobbing violently.

Relief washed over me, and yet I felt uncomfortable. I felt like an intruder, watching a very intimate, private scene. I was about to turn away, but caught Alexander's eyes.

I need to talk to you, little witch. In private. The mental connection was clear, his voice razor sharp.

I nodded once and motioned him to follow me in silence. Well, I never! Here I was leading a vampire into my bedroom. I shook my head. My life was sitcom material. Though, on second thought, tragedy was probably more befitting a term.

I let Alexander into my bedroom and closed the door behind me, expecting him to face me. The vampire moved on, walking towards my spacious bed, taking in the furniture and the posters on my walls.

My eyes narrowed. This was my room, my private refuge. The head vampire's eyes were lingering on my possessions – my huge black bed, the small nightstand, the writing desk by the window. He moved to the desk, his fingers brushing over some of the CDs of my private collection. He was acting like he was in a freaking museum with carte blanche to touch and feel out everything.