Chapter 9

Hi!

Okay, so here's the next one for you, complete with another awesome book cover. I got incredible reactions and posts with the last chapter, so I'm eager to hear what you think about this one and your thoughts about how the pool game ends... Let me know and thank you all for reading!

Lara

_______________________________________________________

Chapter 9

I stiffened, a flash of something splitting my bones, felt my pulse jump in my veins.

Play for love of the game?  What the hell was that supposed to mean?

The vampire was watching me, blue eyes razor sharp. For once they were not hollow bottomless pits. Because in there, deep in that dark, there was a keen, burning awareness dancing inside. I swallowed and narrowed my eyes; got a hold of myself and remembered just whom I was facing. All camouflage. Illusion. Lies.

I'd show him love. Tough love he wouldn't forget so soon.

I shook my head and moved to the table, cue already in my hand. This time, however, it felt different. Five pairs of eyes were arresting me, watching my every movement, seemingly thwarting my ability. On second thought, it was only one pair of eyes that had that effect on me.

I couldn't shake the feeling that Alexander was watching my every movement, believed I could sense how the vampire's eyes were gliding over every part of my body. I didn't look – didn't want to because I knew what I would be seeing. His gaze was burning, razing everything in its wake. Too powerful to be waved off by a raising of the eyebrow.

Instead I kept my eyes on the table. My ponytail was still in place, brown hair trailing down my back. I pulled down my tank top, which seemed too short all of a sudden, felt strangely exposed in my tight jeans. Self-consciousness was a sudden and fleeting sensation flushing my system.

I bent down for the first shot, concentrating on the center of the triangular mass of billiard balls. The balls rolled over the baize like atoms set into motion, the pool table the element they belonged to. I pocketed two. This time I had the half ones. I walked around the table for my next shot.

When I had found the right angle I tried to fall into the stillness I always used in this game and gave the impulse, letting my cue connect with the cue ball. It hit its target, sending the red-white colored ball rolling across the green felt. I watched its progress in suspension. It slackened, slowed down by the friction of the green felt. I watched it move towards the left centre pocket... It went in!

Laura whooped, while Mark raised his eyebrow. Ryan, who clearly was siding with Alexander, was talking to Kevin, demonstratively ignoring me. I shot a scalding glance at him before I walked past Alexander, for once copying his smug, suave grin. I could do this, beat a five-hundred-year old corpse and walk away. I could. And I would.

"Not bad, little witch. I may have underestimated you," the corpse remarked.

"You think?"

I walked to the other side of the table triumphantly, assessing the table like a chess board, looking for my next move. I chose the blue ball and was about to bend down when my eyes accidently brushed Alexander, who was... I froze. I saw it again. The vampire's gaze was too intense to be ignored. What was it that made me afraid to look at him?

The way he was staring at me – it had a certain feel to it. Not like he wanted to drink my blood. There was more to it. As if he knew me, my essence, inside out, and wanted to have all of it. His gaze was almost physical and palpable – a pinprick sensation of cold hands on my skin. Something in my blood stirred in recognition.