close call

"I can't do this anymore!" I yelled.
My scream echoed through the house.

Jasper looked at me evenly, crossing his arms.

"Iris. We have only been without coffee for two days."

My shoulders slumped as I looked at the empty mug in front of me, and picked at the paint peeling off tigger's nose with my fingernail.

I felt like I hadn't slept well at all lately, for my sleep was plagued with nightmares. I was used to a cup of coffee a morning with my favorite salted caramel creamer to heighten my senses and make me feel more like...me.

Jasper usually kept a steady supply ready but obviously had been procrastinating on a grocery trip.

Jasper picked up the old mug and put it in the cabinet, hesitating for a moment with his hand on the stainless steel handle.

"Iris..." He began.

He seemed to pause, as if he was unsure of his words and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Do you want to go to town today?"

Excitement flooded through me, for we were in a new town that I had yet to explore.

I beamed at him, hopping out of my seat and pulling him in for a hug.

Jasper hugs were the best kind of hugs.
He wrapped his arms completely around you pulling you close to his chest. So close you could smell his scent and hear the heartbeat in his chest.

I buried my face in his shoulder and mumbled that I needed to get dressed which made Jasper reluctantly let go of his hold on me.

I hurried, putting on my makeup and changing into the first thing I saw. My hands fumbled as I tied a rubber band around my ponytail.

Ten minutes later I was running down the stairs ready to leave the house.

Jasper was waiting and took my hand as we walked out of our home. He turned and locked the door with the key and we headed over to the rusty truck.

"If we can afford a house like this, don't you think we can afford something nicer?" I muse.

His hands stiffen on the door handle and he turns towards me with a slight frown.

"What's wrong with the truck?" He mumbles, opening his door and sliding in.

I ignore his disapproving look and get into the passengers seat, buckling my seat belt sloppily and looking out the window.

"Iris?"

"I just want some coffee Jasper."

He nods his head swiftly, turning the key in the ignition, and before I could say another word we were flying down the highway.

---

We pull into the grocery parking lot and find a place to park. My eyes wander over to the quaint looking coffee shop across the street.

I turn to Jasper with pleading eyes, and find that he is already opening his mouth to answer my unspoken question.

I put a finger to his lips and look at him silently.

We stare at each other for a solid five minutes until he lets out an exasperated sigh and throws up his hands.

"Fine." He says, digging into his pocket and pulling out a twenty.

I beam with victory, and snatch the twenty from his hand, exiting the truck as fast as I could.

"Get me something too," Jasper calls over his shoulder as he walks into the grocery store.