19. Sickening Deed

Tabling my building rage, I forced my attention back to Maria. Studying the situation with concern she opened and closed her mouth as though she wanted to protest. Curving around the kitchen island Reece smoothly closed the distance between us. Gasping, Maria tightened her hold on my hands- my fingertips cooled in discomfort.

Snatching my hand free from her, Reece caused the otherwise composed woman to fidget uncomfortably. Dropping his mouth over mine, he brushed his warm lips across my jaw. "Sorry you're so ashamed." He rasped, bitterly. The man's spectacularly incorrect presumption of the situation had yet again acquainted me with the brooding version of himself.

My temple pricked, insisting I retort. "A little privacy." I gritted out, fisting my hands over my thighs. Scoffing, he pushed away from the chair. "Don't ever question my commitment again." I stated. Tucking my hair behind my ear, he cast Maria a harsh glare before stalking out of the kitchen.

Once the intimidating man had left, Maria took my hands again. "What's going on amorcito? Is he forcing you-"

Refusing to allow her to finish that accusation I stood up, distancing myself protectively. "No-never." She stood slowly, gauging my reactions.

Lifting a hand to reach for me she hesitated. "You seem different." She breathed. I couldn't exactly pinpoint the emotion she spoke with and my anger at her insinuating Reece could ever be such a sleaze, left no room for analysis. "Don't ever speak about him like that again." I warned, my jaw clenching of its own volition. "As for Max, just hope he never meets me again." Speaking through gritted teeth, I dug my nails into my palms.

Tensing, she cautiously wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "Did he hurt you amorcito?" I remained silent. Placing a hand on my cheek, she gently guided me to look at her. "It's okay...I'm here now. We must speak to Ward; your father has many enemies amorcito." She spoke, careful not to divulge too much information.

Slowly relaxing, I sat back down. "Have you heard from, Alex." Like me, Alex had grown attached to Maria over the years. Although he would never admit it- considering it a gross betrayal to our late mother- he too saw her as a mother figure. Watching me with confusion, her eyes questioned what I meant. "You don't know?" Shaking her head, no, she tensed once more. "Alex ran, Ward hasn't been able to track him down for almost two months."

Filling her in, I watched as she absorbed everything that had transpired since my father left. Releasing a shaky breath, she watched the floor. "I don't blame him for running amorcito." Sparking my attention, the woman slowly sank to the edge of her seat. "It is safer for both of you if you aren't around him." She admitted, both stunning and enraging me.

"Why would you say that? He's my brother, Maria." My chest rose and fell.

Starring me square in the eyes she pinned me with an angered expression. "And he's like a son to me. Regardless- I cannot forgive what he did." Her voice became cold and suddenly I noticed that she too was different.

"What did he do?" I asked.

Her jaw clicked and my eyes widened, never having witnessed such disdain cross her features. "He disrespected a girl, amorcito. In my books it doesn't matter who the girl is, what her last name is and who her family are...she still deserves respect. He was...sleeping with Leena." She finished, tightening her jaw at the mention.

The name sent me; I wanted to throw up. "Kai's sister?" I whispered, recoiling at the mere mention of Reece's enemy.

Not yet finished, she fisted a hand over the table. "He got her pregnant, then dumped her, it broke her heart. Do you know, she tried to end her life?" My mind was reeling from the accusations she was making. That was not my big brother, my father did not raise either of us to omit our responsibilities.