Chapter Four

Most people would not deem a rough-looking, bear of a man the affectionate type. And yet, nothing could be further from the truth.

Opening the door, Maebh allowed Coinín to envelope her in a bone-crushing hug. Her body temperature was already sky high because of the weather, her skin sticky with a layer of perspiration, so the embrace didn't help much.

"Good morning to you, Irish girl!"

"Morning." She grumbled, her voice cracking.

Coinín had the tendency to give her notice of his arrival, which was fine by her as long as he'd to it at a reasonable time. But that wasn't the case. She had tried to ignore him, to no avail -the more time she took to open the door, the more persistent his knocks became.

"If that's all, I'll be heading back to bed now."

"No wait! Can I grab a bite from your fridge?" He stopped the door from closing. "I haven't had breakfast yet."

Maebh yawned, "Be my guest, I'll leave the door unlocked. There's some left over spinach-brie tortillas if you're interested?"

"Thanks but no thanks," Coinín said with a level of disgust. "Think I'll make some eggs and bacon."

Maebh excused herself and went back upstairs, sighing with relief as her bed came into view. She dropped her contact lenses in the case atop her bedside table, pulled the duvet over her and before her head even hit the pillow, her heavy eyelids had already fallen shut.

Rays of sunlight streaming in through the slit between curtains awoke her. She could hear the morning chatter of songbirds out in the garden.

Maebh stretched, slid out of bed and into the shower, clouds of steam fogging up the cubicle as the scalding water hit the cold glass walls. Washing at record speed, she then groped around in the fog for a towel.

Rubbing the mirror with a towel to get rid of the fog, Maebh observed the violet-eyed girl staring back at her with apprehension.

Fifteen minutes later, Maebh padded down to the kitchen.

In her mind, she was planning the next stage of the home renovation. She still had to finish unpacking some boxes, re-decorate her bedroom, tidy the garage and attic -though she would prefer to postpone the latter two, with all the creepy crawlers that lived there. She made a mental note to let Grey have his fun next time he visited.

Maebh turned on the radio and let the timeless sound of Queen's 'Somebody To Love' wash over her as she made a bowl of Greek yoghurt with honey. Shoving a spoon-full into her mouth, she moved her hips from side to side. Soon, the subtle movements turned more theatrical and by the time the song was halfway through, Maebh was jumping around the kitchen, acting out the lyrics and singing into the ladle.

Concentrated on the act at hand, she had failed to notice a certain someone standing by the kitchen door, observing her show with an amused grin.

Bear had decided on a spontaneous visit to see how Maebh was fairing. They hadn't spoken since the last time he was there. He rang the door bell, again and again, but no Maebh. Coinín told him she was home though so perhaps the sleepy head was still in bed? As he was about to give up and leave, he noted loud music coming from the back of the house, following the sound he ended up standing in front of the open kitchen door. He was about to announce his arrival, when he saw Maebh whirling and twirling, singing at the top of her lungs.

She was uncoordinated and weak on the legs like a newborn fawn and his feet were glued to the ground, fixated on her.

When the song ended, their eyes crossed and neither of them spoke for a second.