Chapter Two

Haines Junction's supermarket was the only one in a 30-mile radius. For that reason, Maebh had been going back and forth between the house and the shop for the past three days.

The previous times, a pregnant lady had womanned the cash register. Her name was Maggie, according to the tag pinned to her blouse, and she was the friendliest face yet. They had only exchanged polite small talk. But Maebh had taken a liking to her.

On the morning of the fourth day, it gutted Maebh to discover a bored-looking man in Maggie's spot. Amidst the endless cleaning and sorting, their daily chats had become a highlight. Considering she was the only person beside her parents whom she talked to. She regularly talked to Grey too, but their conversations were rather one-sided; wolves didn't tend to talk back.

Maebh had concluded the pup to be a boy who she referred to as Grey for his shade of fur. The name fit him in more ways than one; the pelt reminded her of the salty waters of the Irish Sea on a cloudy day. And like the ocean tides, Grey would come and go. One moment, there. The next, gone.

Approaching the cash register, Maebh fidgeted with the sleeves of her coat. She studied the man's features, taking in the big, calloused hands that held a smartphone and noting how the t-shirt he wore did an awful job at hiding the bulging muscles that stretched the fabric to its limits.

"How may I help you?" he asked with a voice as smooth as silk.

"Err.. Do you sell paint?"

"Nope, you'll have to drive over to Whitehorse for that." the man said, not averting his gaze from his phone.

Maebh frowned, finding his lack of interest rude. Then his words sank in.

"For feck's sake." She groaned, already dreading the long journey in the old pickup truck. It was fine for anything within the town limits, but she doubted it would survive a four hour round trip.

When the moment of frustration passed, Maebh looked back up to find a startling set of eyes staring at her. The contrast between his skin, dark hair and topaz-like eyes was striking. On closer observation, the shade of his irises looked more artificial than her own. But rather than taking her by surprise, the sight provoked a pleasant feeling of solidarity.

"What do you need paint for?" the man questioned with newfound curiosity.

"I'm renovating my log cabin."

He tilted his head to the side, "You live here? I thought you were a tourist."

Maebh had guessed him to be in his mid-twenties, but now that prominent crow's feet creased the corners of his eyes, she reconsidered. Early thirties? Perhaps a little older? She felt appalled to realise she was, in fact, attracted to the man.

He raised his eyebrows in expectancy.

"I-err inherited my grandmother's house after she passed away."

"Who's your grandma?"

"So many questions and I don't even know your name." she squeaked and wanted to smack herself.

"It's Hrólfr, but everyone calls me Bear."

"Cool, I'm Maebh. Why Bear though?"

His lips sank into a grin. "I shot and killed a black bear when I was 14 after it had tried attacking one of my neighbour's cows. Sold the meat and made coats out of the fur."

Maebh swallowed. "Right."

"Are you gonna tell me who your grandma is now?"

She noticed how his eyes sparkled with mischief as he flashed her a smile, causing her stomach to flutter.