Chapter Forty Two

Start from the beginning

I laughed. "I'm not big OR famous."

"Not yet," Oliver corrected. "I have a feeling you'll do something all on your own that doesn't involve your bubblegum pop boyband boyfriend."

I knew he meant it good naturedly, but he had never liked music that seemed to be popular with everybody else. It wasn't like he tried to be hipster, he just naturally went his own way.

"I talked to Nate last night," I said after ordering my drink. 

"What'd he say?" Oliver's eyebrows shot way up. 

"He was really drunk," I admitted. "But I don't think we'll be doing much, or any, talking anymore."

Oliver nodded, satisfied. I knew he was thinking of how distraught I was after my breakup with Nate.  Obviously, they had never liked each other; they might as well be polar opposites. Niall was a good mix between them. He held some of Nate's positive traits, some of Oliver's and a handful that were entirely his own.

"I have great news," Oliver grinned as he thanked the waiter for our drinks. "My book might get published!"

"That's amazing!" I gasped. "Tell me how it happened!"

For his senior project, Oliver had written a novel. It revolved around a complicated and dangerous plot based in the 1950s. Everybody was involved in some way with everybody else and it was genuinley amazing, not just because he was my friend and he wrote it. 

We talked about everything. Memories especially, laughing about the things we'd done over the years, sharing stories from before we even knew each other.

When I left the restaurant and checked my phone, there was a text from Niall from a few hours ago.

Hey babe! I miss you :) Just checking in!

I couldn't help but smile. Pressing his contact page, I clicked the call button. Niall answered on the third ring.

"Hello?" he sounded sleepy.

"Hey baby," I bit my lip. Was he sleeping? I didn't want to disturb him. "Did I wake you up?"

"Hm? Oh, no I just didn't get much sleep last night," he explained.

"Neither did I," I admitted. "Sandra threw a party."

Niall chuckled. "She and Harry have been in contact."

I groaned. Seriously? I really didn't approve of this, Sandra would eventually walk all over his heart in 10 inch heels. It was inevitable. Unavoidable.

"What about Cara?" I asked hopefully. I chose my words carefully. "He seemed... smitten with her."