19.

twice slays

Updates will take longer because I'm working to update the 'guide to the underworld' so readers will have a better understanding of the terms and events occurring in further chapters.

Don't forget to read the note and check out the inline comment at the end of the chapter to find out how to read the completed, unedited version of WUAD for free!

CHAPTER - NINETEEN

Ella Martin was a composed woman.

She was a typical grandmother. Although weirdly, she didn't look very old. Granted, I'd only known her until I was six before she perished along with my mother and grandfather in a car accident that changed my life forever. But the few memories I had of her were happy ones. She liked baking cookies and yummy cakes. She loved reading me bedtime stories. She loved her secluded life with grandpa in a distant, small village filled cherry blossoms and quietness.

It had been so long since I'd lost her that like with my mother, I'd begin to forget her face if not for pictures. So, you can imagine my surprise when I come across a portrait of her - albeit a little bit younger, in the house of a demon royal family in the demon realm. Is this why she didn't age much? Was she a demon too? Is that why I was involved in this whole demon drama? My grandmother stares back at me from the portrait but it doesn't feel familiar.

Hands folded on her lap, back straightened, legs crossed, sleek black hair set in curls, bright blue eyes glowing, dressed in a royal blue renaissance gown...she didn't look like my grandmother.

She looked like a princess.

"There you are, little hammy."

I jump at the sound of demon boy's voice. He walks to my side, his presence bringing warmth into the cold room. Casually slinging an arm around my shoulders, he looks down at me. I unconsciously press myself closer to him, using him as an anchor to remind me that this is reality. That I wasn't stuck in some weird dream space.

"Who is that?" I ask, voice croaking and shaky.

Demon boy tucks a loose strand of my hair behind my ear, "That's Princess Elvive Marvelyn." He whispers in my ear.

"That's my grandmother..." I whisper, feeling like everything in my life is a lie. There's no response from demon boy. I push myself away from demon boy, holding the book close to my chest, unable to meet his eyes. Tears pool in my eyes, betrayal, and pain swirling around me. "Did you know?" I ask him. He stays silent, observing me. "Is this why you sought me out?" My voice raises.

"Faye, I-" He starts, reaching out for me. I swat his hand away.

"Just-just leave me alone," I push past him, walking through the hallways until I reach my room and lock the door behind me. I toss the book on the bed and lay down beside it. A small tear slips out of my eye and rolls down my face when there's a knock at the door. I know it's demon boy but I don't open it, turning away from the door like it'll make him go away. I hear him sigh before there's a click and the door opens.