Chapter 13- Did you forget the good ole' saying 'Chicks before Dicks?'

Chapter 13- Did you forget the good ole' saying 'Chicks before Dicks.'

Too many questions invaded my mind. What was James doing in the same hospital as Brandon's mom? Was someone in his family ill? There were two people in this accident and I've not heard anything about the driver. Does that mean that the person on the deriver's seat was related to James?

Oh no. I gasped, the sudden realisation hit me like a bucket of ice cold water in a chilly day. This can't be possible. I shouldn't assume things, but my mind was doing just the opposite by imagining every worst case scenario.

Brandon wrapped his arm around my shoulder and firmly gripped it. I looked at him and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and tried to shrug it off, but he simply tightened his grip.

"Hey," Brandon said and outstretched his hand. They shook hands and gave each other the fake smiles which we specially reserve for some special people.

"What are you doing here?" both of them chorused together.

"You first," said Brandon.

James simply nodded and replied,"My elder brother got admitted two days ago, so I just came here to give him a short visit."

I let out a strangled breath of relief. For a moment, I literally assumed that the person on the opposite side was related to him.

"What's wrong with your brother?" I asked, I never knew that James had a brother.

"Nothing much. He's suffering from diabetes mellitus: type 1. He was supposed to take his injection twice a day, but he has stopped doing that since last two weeks because of depression and stress. He collapsed in the middle of the class because of this and then he was admitted to the hospital as soon as possible."

A sudden ache started developing in my heart. I didn't like him anymore, but he was still a good friend of mine. I felt uneasy knowing that I was not able to help him during his problems.

"James," I said and took his hand in mine. I gave him a reassuring squeeze and he did the same. I felt Brandon's death grip on my shoulder, I wouldn't be surprised if the a bone or two would dislocate from the sudden pressure on my shoulder.

From the corner of my eye, I saw that Brandon was glaring at our joined hands. Like a quick reflex, I pulled my hand away from his and after a moment, my eyes went wide. Why did I do that? Was he ... jealous? No, that's not possible. I'm thinking too much.

We chatted for five more mimutes and all the time I could feel James's eyes drifting to Brandon's hand on my shoulder.

We bid a final goodbye to him and went inside the elevator. There was no one inside it, except us. Brandon slowly slid his hand down from my shoulder and a shudder ran through my spine, my palms were turning sweaty and the butterflies were swarming in my stomach.

His fingertips brushed the visible skin on my uninjured arm and my breathing became uneven. The elevator, suddenly seemed very small and claustrophobic.

Thankfully, I heard a final ding and I shrugged his hand away from my arm and tried to speed walk which may not look like a speed walk, out of the elevator.

We were going towards the parking lot and all the way, I was trying to avoid him. I would occasionally, look behind to make sure that he was still there.
As soon as we reached the vehicle, he sat on his motorcycle and started the engine.

I adjusted myself on his motorcycle and in no time, we sped through th street.

I was not afraid of motorcycles, but I needed something to hold on to, something for support. Normally, I used to place my hands on Brandon's shoulder or wrap it around his waist, but this time, I hesitated.