Let Me In (One Direction Fan- Fiction)

CHAPTER 1

My head rests against the cool window of my aunt's BMW. We move cautiously through the streets of England my new 'home'. A steady rain falls outside filling the unfamiliar streets with puddles. Music blasts out of  my iphone, and I stare out the window letting the beat fill me. It fuels my anger and underlying confusion.

The last thing I want to do is move, and change schools. Make new friends. Give myself some time to 'gather my thoughts' was how my parents put it. I roll my eyes at the thought of them. They are so controlling. The minute I turned 18 they literally kicked me out. My bags were packed, my plane ticket waiting. Next thing I know, here I am.

I feel a tug on my hair, and look over to see a little too-happy-for-my-liking baby cousin, fascinated by my bright red locks. "Ow," I whine rubbing my head even though it doesn't really hurt. Lux squeals and stuffs her hand into her mouth.

Once again I roll my eyes and turn back to the window. She doesn't realize how lucky she has it. She has a mom and a dad who love her. A home, a bedroom. She has more of a family then I ever did.

I scoff at myself for envying a baby, and turn my music louder. Before I close my eyes, they catch on my aunt's face in the mirror. Her mouth is set in a flat line making her look way older then she is. Her normally caring eyes are fixed on the road ahead.

I can bet that she doesn't want me here, but my parents probably made some kind of deal. My stomach churns at the thought. I am not wanted anywhere.

The truck veers to the right and down a long road surrounded by thick trees. On the left, small houses line the road. Further along, the houses get bigger, and eventually we stop. Aunt Lou pulls over into a driveway. The house isn't small, but it's not huge either.

I throw the door open, and leap down, slamming it behind me. I open the trunk and grab my three suitcases, and two duffel bags, getting soaked in the process. I struggle to hold them all at once, but somehow I manage. I snap the trunk closed.

"Need some help?" Aunt Lou asks, Lux  balancing on her hip away from the rain.

"No," I mumble.

I move for the house, and imagine it probably looks like I am waddling. I wait for Aunt Lou to catch up, so she could open the front door. By the time she does, my clothes are clinging to my skin, and my hair is matted to my head. This was going to be a long day.

Four hours later, I just about finish putting things in my new room. The walls are a light purple, and I force myself not to complain about them.

Aunt Lou walks in, and if I were at home, I would lecture her about my privacy. She offers me a warm smile and says, "Ariana, I want you to feel welcome here."

"It's okay Aunt Lou. I know this is just another method for my parents to get rid of me. I get it." I respond.

I pick at my finger nail, pretending to be fascinated with it.

Lou hesitates, letting my words sink in. "Call me Lou, 'Aunt' makes me feel old." She smiles.

It is true, she is still young. Lou had wide cheekbones that remind me of my father. She has wavy blonde bleached hair and deep-set grey eyes, which I wish I had inherited over my brown ones.

"You want to go shopping for something to jazz your room up a little?" She asks me.

My first thought is absolutely not. But I have to play nice in order to make this work, so I nod instead.

"Just let me call someone to watch Lux. Tom is at work." She responds, pulling out her iphone and exiting.

Lou returns after five minutes. "Okay, I've got two somebodies coming to watch the baby." 

She leaves me to get ready, and I strip from my wet clothing replacing it with a dry cotton shirt and jean shorts. I already regret the shopping trip.

Within five minutes, I hear a knock on the door, and head down.

Downstairs, Lou is already talking to two guys, who look around my age. It takes me an instant to recognize them. Magazine pictures and billboard covers pass through my head, as I make the connection the two men standing in front of me are the same one from the headlines.

"You must be the niece." The one with the curly hair smiles at me, a dimple poking through his cheek.

"You must be the babysitter." I respond. Lou, Curly, and the other guy laugh until they realize I don't mean it as a joke, and then the laughter quickly subsides. I stand quietly looking around desperate to go back upstairs.

The next boy clears his throat, and hesitantly reaches across to shake my hand, like his is unsure how I will react. "I'm Zayn." I shake his hand surprising him, and mumble hello.

Curly laughs, "I'm Harry by the way."

I look at him, and give a pathetic fake smile.

"Ok! Well I'll go get Lux!" Lou claps her hands to end the awkwardness. She shoots me a tight warning smile before leaving.

Zayn, Harry and I stand in the hallway.

I pull out my phone to avoid more awkward conversation.

"Are you texting your boyfriend?" Harry asks after a moment.

I gaze up to shoot him a sharp look, and he puts his hands up in surrender.

"Just making conversation."

"Then ask me about the weather." I roll my eyes.

Zayn has his lips pressed tightly together, I assume to hold in laughter.

Lou walks back in the room just in time. She explains some rules to the boys, and starts for the door. 

"Bye Babe!" Harry calls to me.

"Bye Zayn!" I say instead. "Oh and Harry,"

"Yeah?"

"I dont date boys who wear more makeup then me." I blow him a kiss as his face fell, and then I shut the door. Hard.