Chapter 6 ✿ Royally Stupid

Start from the beginning

      “Okay. I give up!” I held my hands up in surrender and sighed. “You can continue cooking, but I’ll help you and you won’t do anything that will make your condition worse.”

     His face lit up like a child was just given a jar of candies. The smile that curled on his lips made my heart skip a beat. It seemed that Lovely’s statement about him being a hot-shot was true. His smile was captivating.

     I felt my cheeks burning so I turned around and headed back towards the kitchen. “Well, then! What are we waiting for? Let’s finish this so you can rest. We still need to do something important.”

     “Then, I won’t take too much of your time.” I heard some shuffling behind me and a second after I faced the stove, the prince was then standing beside me.

     His expression looked permanent. It was like the smile couldn’t be taken off of his face. If little things like this can make him happy, then he’s no different from a child.

     The prince looked like he was enjoying himself while he mixed the ingredients on the pot. He babbled on about countless things of his palace life, and I shared equal things about mine as well. I figured with the talk we made that he was just an ordinary fellow.  By the way his voice sounded, it seemed to me like he yearned for a company of someone who won’t treat him like he’s from the royal family, but wherever he goes, he’ll still be a prince. It would be hard not to treat him like one.

     “My father died from assassination when I was just twelve. Because of that, my mother is now running the kingdom. But despite the heavy duties as a crowned ruler, she never lacked from being a good mother.” He said as he sprinkled something over the soup.

     “I heard that news, too. But during that time, I was just like . . . ten or something? But if your father died, then I would be the opposite.”

     “What happened?”

     “My mother died from a car accident—right on the night of my eighteenth birthday. It made me think that she purposely left me when I stepped on adulthood since I was already old enough to handle myself.” I replied with a low voice as I turned my back to my guest to reach up at the cupboards. Unfortunately, I wasn’t that tall to reach the top shelf.

     “Is that so? If so, accept my condolences.” His sincere voice rang on my ears before a foreign hand went up past mine and reached for the bowls I wanted to get for myself.

     “Give me that,” I snatched the items out of his hand, insecure of my height. “I would’ve reached it myself . . . if I stood on something.”

     He chuckled. “Shouldn’t I be getting a thank you instead?”

     “Whatever. Thanks.”

     “Well, anyway. What happened to your father, then?”

     “Tch. I don’t wanna care about it, but he left us for someone younger and richer when I was just a kid. When my mother died, he tried asking me to live with him and his b*llsh*t family, for what? Ha! After all these years he shows up in a limousine on my mother’s funeral, pretending to be someone who cares when it actuality, he hadn’t really been there on the most important occasions in my life.” I grumbled angrily under my breath. I placed down the bowls on the counter and took out the spoons next.

     “I see. So, is that the reason why you’re here?”

     “Frankly speaking, yes. But that’s not all, really. This small house was bought by my mother. I just came to know she had it when the lawyer told me she owned a house here.”