Hey Moon, Don't You Go Down

Brendon:

I have no idea what I'm doing. Our dinner was ruined by those two girls that picked on Asteria and I feel like it'll be hard to get back to the good vibes we had at the beginning of our date. There's no hope in restoring that tonight but I don't want the night to end either. So why not meet this David guy? Why not see what's going on? I look over and she looks nervous but excited and I'm just a bundle of nerves. If I want in, I need to do well with David and hopefully there isn't more going on with them. She suddenly jumps up and reaches over to the radio, but stops.

"What? What happened?" I ask. What the hell is this girl doing?

"May I?" She asks, indicating to the stereo system and it's the cutest fucking thing I've ever seen.
"By all means," I reply. She beams and raises the volume so I can hear what song it is that she's excited about. My excitement matches hers as we hear the sweet voice of Freddie Mercury humming its way through the sound system. Before I know it she's singing along, I mean really singing along.

"Each morning I get up I die a little. Can barely stand on my feet!"

I laugh and join her.

"Take a loooook in the mirror!"

"Take a look!" She giggles and we both laugh more at ourselves than each other.

"He's incredible," she says with a sigh.

"Truly one of the greatest." We both get excited as the chorus picks up and we sing in unison.

"Oh somebody! Somebody! Can anyyy bodyyyy fiiiind meeeee! Somebody to love!" She tears up and I have a hard time keeping my eyes in the road.

"Turn right at the next light," she says softly while Freddie continues to ignite the spark that was put out earlier.

"Asteria. I'm very disappointed in you." She turns to look at me with a wide eyed gaze. "That dress was probably very expensive."

She rolls her eyes and scoffs.

"You know what, she deserved it. Both of those assholes did." My eyebrows raise in surprise.

"The goddess has a dark side?"

"They were talking about me in the bathroom..." She stares out the window and I feel guilty for bringing it up. I grab her hand, hoping it eases her. "Sorry for making a scene."

"It was actually really hilarious. The wine glass was funny enough but you really went out of your way with the napkin." She laughs and shakes her head. "Did you get a little jealous?"

"Keep that kind of attitude and you can just drop me off," she says. She's smiling and her eyes are playful but I can tell she means it. I nod and kiss her hand in apology. "Oh! Pull up right here!"

I pull over and parallel park in front of an apartment building similar to hers. She turns over and looks at me.

"So, my best friend. His name is Davey. We've known each other since we were kids. It's completely platonic. I know everyone says that doesn't exist so I didn't want you to get the wrong idea. I guess...you'll just have to see. But I just wanted to give you the heads up, I guess. People get...intimidated."