Chapter 19 - The Forges

*3rd Person*

"I've heard tales of the wonders of Elvish medicine. That was a privilege to witness," Oin told Fili as they stood off to the side, watching Tauriel bind Kili's leg.

"Almithara," Kili muttered, looking up at the She-Elf, who was taken aback.

"Lie still," she told him, not knowing what to say.

"You cannot be her. She is far away. She is far far away from me. She walks in starlight in another world." Tauriel could feel his love for the girl as he spoke. His hand raised up slowly, tangling his fingers in hers. "Do you think she really loves me?" She nodded her head slightly, looking away from the hallucinating Dwarf.

*Almithara's POV*

"Stay close," Thorin ordered as we rounded a corner into the guardroom. Coming to a halt, I looked around at all the bodies scattered on the floor.

"That's it, then. There's no way out," Dwalin stated as I looked up at the doorway, which was now blocked by rocks.

"The last of our kin. They must have come here, hoping beyond hope," Balin said sadly and I reached over, putting a hand on his shoulder and squeezing it. "We could try to reach the mines. We might last a few days."

"No. I will not die like this. Cowering, clawing for breath. We make for the forges," Thorin suggested, turning to look at us.

"He'll see us; sure as death," Dwalin countered, thinking it was a bad idea.

"Not if we split up."

"Thorin. We'll never make it," Balin interjected.

"Some of us might. Lead him to the forges. We kill the dragon. If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." Thorin decided that Balin and I would go with him and we struggled to keep up with him as he led us across another bridge.

"Flee. Flee. Run for your lives. There is nowhere to hide," Smaug taunted, appearing not too far from where we stood on the bridge. There was yelling from the distance and Smaug turned to look at the commotion, giving us a chance to run away.

"This way! It's this way!" Balin shouted to Thorin, who was running ahead of us and trying to go another way.

"Thorin!" I shouted, catching his attention. He started coming back to where Balin and I stood, but stopped when he saw Smaug at the other end of the corridor. He would never make it to us in time.

"Follow Balin!" He ordered. I backed up towards Balin, calling Thorin's name again, but I was pulled backwards into the safety of a passageway as Smaug blew fire towards us. Balin led me to the forges, where we stood with Bombur, Dori, and Ori, waiting for the others.

"The plan's not gonna work. These furnaces are stone cold," Dwalin exclaimed as he walked in with Nori and Thorin.

"He's right. We've no fire hot enough to set them ablaze," Balin added, shaking his head. Thorin turned, hearing Smaug roar in the distance.

"Have we not? I did not look to see you so easily outwitted," Thorin teased, walking over to the pillars that stood as a gate, separating us from the dragon. "You have grown slow and fat in your dotage, slug!" Smaug rose up, turning to look over at Thorin. "Take cover!" Thorin ordered as we all ran and pressed our backs to the pillars, hiding from Smaug's fire. One by one, the furnaces lit up, starting to heat the substance inside. As we moved away from the pillars, Smaug started knocking his body against them. "Bombur! Get those bellows working." Bombur nodded, running over to the edge and grabbing onto a chain, pulling it down with his weight. The fires turned blue before turning back to orange and yellow. "Almithara! Up there. On my mark pull that lever," Thorin told me, putting a hand on my back and pushing me slightly in the direction of where he was pointing. As I ran, I looked over my shoulder, seeing the pillars falling with Smaug's force. Running up the last of the steps, I looked up at the lever I was supposed to pull. I reached up slightly, worried that I wouldn't be able to reach it. Turning, I saw Smaug had made it into the forges and was stalking towards me, stopping to turn and look at Thorin. "Now!" I took that as my sign and quickly ran back to the lever, jumping up and pulling it down with all my might. As my feet landed back on the ground, water came rushing out of the mouths of stone statues. As I turned my head, I saw Smaug moving away from the water. There was a clanking before the lines of coal carts started moving. As Bombur worked, the furnaces started to bubble. Smaug started moving towards where Thorin stood when a flash of blue hit his face. My eyebrows furrowed as another one hit and I noticed Ori throwing jars at him. The rope for the coal carts was cut and they came falling down on top of Smaug, the heavy coal hitting his neck as he got wrapped up in the lines. Thorin ran over to a thick chain and pulled on it, opening the furnaces and letting the liquid gold run out. "Lead him to the Gallery of the Kings!" A coal cart came flying off of Smaug and in my direction, to which I shrieked before quickly ducking. It shattered to pieces against the stone wall behind me. Smaug's tail hit the stone I was on, causing it to crack and shake. I groaned, knowing what was going to happen. The stone I was on, and several around me, started to crumble, falling to the ground and taking me with it. My body connected with the cold, hard ground and I rolled, finally coming to a stop next to a giant chunk of stone. "Keep going, Almithara!"

Author's Note:

Remember to keep voting, favoriting, and of course, reading. :)

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!