Chapter 13 - Leaving You Behind

When morning came, we all suited up in armor with weapons attached to our hips and backs. Making our way out of the Master's home, we walked past the hordes of people that had lined up to see us off. "You do know we're one short. Where's Bofur?" I asked Thorin as we walked to the waiting boat.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind," Thorin replied sternly.

"We'll have to. If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays," Balin piped up from behind Thorin. Reaching the boat, Nori and Dori got in while the rest passed them supplies.

Kili was about to step in when Thorin turned, putting his hand on his chest to stop him, "Not you. We must travel at speed. You will slow us down." My eyes widened as I stared at Thorin.

"What?" I squeaked. He couldn't be serious.

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you," Kili said, thinking Thorin was joking.

"Not now."

Kili's face fell with realization, "I'm going to be there when that door is opened. When we first look upon the Halls of our Fathers, Thorin."

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Kili backed away from Thorin, who had turned, shock and disappointment clear on his pale face. Oin climbed out of the boat, muttering about sticking with the wounded as I helped Kili move over to an upturned crate to sit.

"Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him," I heard Fili utter as Oin tried to look over Kili. "I will carry him if I must!"

"One day you will be King and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my own kin." Kili started groaning at the pain in his leg as quick footsteps approached. Suddenly, Fili was crouched down in front of his brother.

"You're not leaving me, are you?" Kili asked, looking up at me.

Grabbing his face in my hands, I looked him in the eye. "I wish I could stay, Kili. I really do, but I must go. This is why I'm here. I'm sorry." He shook his head, looking down.

"No, no. It's fine. You're right. This is why you're here." Finally looking up at me, I could see his eyes were clouded with concern. "Just promise me, you'll be careful and that you won't do something to get yourself killed. Please?" He begged.

A small smile made its way onto my face, "As long as you promise not to die while I'm gone."

He chuckled slightly, muttering an "I promise." Leaning down, I pressed a kiss to his lips, trying to savor every moment I had with him. It ended too quickly and when I pulled away, I heard Thorin call for me. Turning my head slightly, I could see that the boat was beginning to move.

I turned back around, gripping Fili's arm tight, "Promise me you'll do everything you can to help him. Please, don't let him die. I know neither of us want that." He nodded his head firmly as the cheering from the crowd intensified. I had started backing away slowly when a thought popped into my mind. "Athelas."

"What?" Fili asked, looking up at me.

"Athelas," I repeated with wide eyes. Turning, I saw that the boat was now moving faster, so I ran towards it, yelling over my shoulder at Fili. "Athelas. It will help him."

"I don't know what that is!" He yelled back as I jumped into the moving boat.

"Kingsfoil!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. He gave me a look as if saying he couldn't understand me and as I looked down at Kili, I could see the longing in his eyes for me to come back. "I love you," I mouthed to him.

Through all of the cheering, my sensitive hearing was able to pick up on the four little words he whispered, "I love you, too." 

Author's Note:

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has read my story!

I also want to thank those people who are voting for every chapter in this book and every chapter of the first book. I love getting 20+ notifications saying that someone has voted. (Can you sense some sarcasm there?) Even though the notifications drive me crazy, I do love that you guys are voting. And to the people who heart my story on Quotev, I love seeing the numbers go up :)

And last, but not least, to all of my followers! I am seriously amazed that people follow me. I mean, I'm amazed at the reaction I get to my stories, but the fact that some of you decide to follow me too, it just seems crazy to me. I find it weird every time I see the number of followers I have going up and I'm baffled because I feel like I'm a boring person to follow. But that's just my opinion and I know you all have your reasons for following me, so thank you!

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!