Chapter 14 - Finding the Hidden Door

Making our way across the half-frozen lake, we finally made it to the shore and climbed out of the boat, walking up the steep and rocky slopes of the mountain. "What is this place?" I asked, as we looked out at a burnt city.

"It was once the city of Dale," Balin answered, walking up next to Thorin. "Now it is a ruin. The desolation of Smaug."

"The sun will soon reach midday. We must find the hidden door into the mountain before it sets. This way," Thorin announced, following after Balin.

"Wait. Is this the overlook? Gandalf said to meet him here. On no account were we to - ," I started to say, but Thorin cut me off.

"Do you see him? We have no time to wait upon the Wizard. We're on our own. Come!" Looking at his retreating figure, I looked back at what was left of Dale, worry filling my mind.

***

Searching the valley between two mountains, we all spread out, looking for a sign of the hidden door. "Anything?" Thorin called out.

"Nothing!" Dwalin returned.

"If the map is true, then the hidden door lies directly above us," Thorin explained, looking from the map to the mountain side. Something caught my eye and I moved closer, seeing a staircase leading up the side of the mountain.

"Up here!" I shouted, a smile making its way onto my face. Thorin and the others quickly made their way over to where I stood, looking up at the sight before us.

"You have keen eyes, Lady Almithara," Thorin acknowledged, breathing heavily. As the Dwarves started their climb, I decided to take the easier route. Changing into a hawk, I flew past the others as they made their way up, landing on the cliff at the top of the stairs. "This must be it," Thorin mumbled to himself as we all stood staring at the rock wall. "The hidden door. Let all those who doubted us rue this day!" The Dwarves started cheering as Thorin held the key up for us all to see.

"Right, then. We have a key. Which means that somewhere there is a key-hole," Dwalin told us, searching the wall with his hands.

"'The last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole,'" Thorin repeated the words. All of us stood there in anticipation as the sun slowly started to sink past the top of the mountain. Pulling out a spoon and a cup, Nori went over to the wall, tapping on it. As Nori tapped harder, Dwalin started kicking at the wall.

"Be quiet! I can't hear when you're thumping," Nori complained.

"Break it down!" Thorin ordered and Dwalin, Bifur, and Gloin picked up their axes, striking the wall repeatedly, which only resulted in the weapons breaking.

"It's no good. The door's sealed; can't be opened by force. There's a powerful magic on it," Balin explained as the sun finally sunk.

Pulling out the map, Thorin read what it said, "'The last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole.' That is what it says. What did we miss? Balin?"

"We've lost the light," Balin said softly, shaking his head. "There's no more to be done. We had but once chance. Come away, lads. It's over."

"Wait a minute," I said as the others started moving back towards the staircase. "Where are they going?" I looked over at Thorin, who was staring at the wall. "You can't give up now!" Slowly, Thorin let the key fall from his fingers, clattering against the ground. "Thorin," I said softly, "you can't give up now." Walking past me, he shoved the map into my shoulder, not even glancing at me. "'Stand by the gray stone,'" I mumbled to myself as I stood in front of the wall. "'When the thrush knocks. The setting sun. And the last light of Durin's Day will shine.' The last light." This was all a riddle and I was desperately trying to figure it out. "Last light," I muttered once last time, looking up at the sky. There was a gap in the clouds, revealing the moon, shining bright. There was a clicking from behind me and when I turned, I found a bird hitting a nut against the stone. But it wasn't just any bird. It was a thrush. The moon lit up the wall and that's when things started to click inside my head. "The key-hole!" I shouted, seeing the dark void in the light. "Come back! It's the light of the moon! The last moon of autumn!" Running over to the side of the cliff, I yelled down, not seeing any movement. "Where's the key? Where's the key?" I muttered to myself, turning in circles as I searched the ground. Turning once more, I felt my foot hit something hard before there was the sound of metal on stone. The key was dangerously close to going over the edge of the cliff when a boot came down, stopping it. Slowly, Thorin bent down, grabbing the key in his hand before standing and staring at it, a smile on his face. Walking over to the door, he put the key in and twisted, hearing it unlock. Hesitating, he lifted his hands and pushed, the door swinging open.

"Erebor."

"Thorin," Balin muttered, walking up behind him. I could hear it in his voice that he was trying to hold back his tears. Thorin put a hand on his shoulder before turning and crossing the threshold.

"I know these walls. These halls. This stone. You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light."

"I remember," Balin nodded, slowly following him in. One by one, we all entered the mountain, looking at the rock walls around us.

"'Herein lies the Seventh Kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the Heart of the Mountain unite all Dwarves in defense of this home,'" Gloin read, looking up at something on the wall. Moving over to where he stood, I looked up too, seeing a carving in the stone.

"The Throne of the King," Balin added, looking at me. My eyes traveled to the shape on top of the throne.

"And what's that above it?"

"The Arkenstone."

"Arkenstone," I repeated, looking back up at it. "And what's that?"

"That, Master Burglar, is why you are here," Thorin said, turning to look at me. Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked from him to Balin, and then around at the others, who were all staring at me. Gulping, I looked back up at the carving of the Arkenstone.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!