Chapter 11 - The Black Arrow

Feeling the boat slow to a stop, I waited, listening to Bard's footsteps as he neared my barrel. There was a thud, followed by coughing and then another thud. I took that as a sign to get out and pushed my way past the stinky fish, breathing in the cold, fresh air. A hand appeared next to me and I took it, lifting myself out of the barrel.

"You didn't see them. They were never here," Bard told an old man that was nearby, watching. He pushed something into his hand before turning to walk away. "The fish you can have for nothing. Follow me," he continued, walking away from us. We followed as he led us past shops and homes, looking over our shoulders.

"Da!" A young boy exclaimed, running up to Bard. His son. "Our house, it's being watched." Bard looked away and I could tell he was thinking hard.

***

Bard had us get into the water and hide underneath his house until someone came to get us. Kicking my legs to keep me afloat, I moved closer to the two brothers, who were holding onto a piece of wood hanging off of the house. I grabbed onto it, stopping my legs, which were starting to go numb. "It's fr–freezing out h–here," I stuttered out, teeth chattering. Kili and Fili nodded their heads. We all looked up at the sound of heavy footsteps, moving fast. Hearing a knock, Dwalin lifted himself up, sticking his head through the hole of a toilet seat.

"If you speak of this to anyone, I'll rip your arms off," he threatened, slapping the young boy's hand away and pulling himself out. Once Dwalin was out, I was pushed towards the opening, where I pulled myself up and took the outstretched hand of Bard's son. Shivering, I made my way up the stairs, water dripping from every part of my body.

"Da? Why are there Dwarves climbing out of our toilet?" A young woman asked from the top of the stairs as I walked past her.

"Will they bring us luck?" A small child asked, eyes glinting. When all of the Dwarves were inside, they were offered dry clothes and thick blankets, which they immediately took. As the Dwarves changed out of their wet clothing, the young woman, whose name I had learned to be Sigrid, took me into her room with her younger sister, Tilda, and offered me a dress of hers. I pulled the curtain shut, blocking the mens' view of me and quickly started undressing.

"You're an Elf," Sigrid stated as I pulled her dress on. Nodding my head, I turned so she could tie the dress in the back. "From the Woodland Realm?" I hesitated before nodding my head again. Once the dress was tied, I took the blanket that Tilda offered me before going back out to the others and sitting next to the fireplace.

"They may not be the best fit, but they'll keep you warm," Bard told us as blankets were distributed. I thanked Tilda and looked over at Thorin, who was staring out the window.

"The Dwarvish windlance," Thorin whispered as I walked closer to him.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," I remarked, holding my warm cup tightly in my hands.

"He has. The last time we saw such a weapon, a city was on fire. It was the day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale. Girion, the Lord of the City, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough. Tougher than the strongest armor. Only a Black Arrow fired from a windlance could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made. The store was running low when Girion made his last stand," Balin explained, memories flashing in his eyes.

"Had the aim of Men been true that day, much would have been different," Thorin added.

"You speak as if you were there," Bard commented, suspicion clear on his face.

"All Dwarves know the tale."

"Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened a scale under the left wing. One more shot and he would have killed the beast," Bain declared.

Dwalin chuckled from behind him, "That's a fairy story, lad. Nothing more."

"You took our money. Where are the weapons?" Thorin demanded, changing the subject. Telling us to stay put, Bard left to go retrieve the weapons. "Tomorrow begins the last days of autumn," Thorin said in a hushed voice to me, Balin, Fili, and Kili as we stood around him.

"Durin's Day falls the morn after next. We must reach the mountain before then," Balin cut in.

"And if we do not? If we fail to find the hidden door before that time?" Kili asked, slightly pale.

"Then this quest has been for nothing," Fili quickly added before I cleared my throat, alerting them all that Bard was coming back. He appeared seconds later with a long bag that clanked when he set it on the table. Unwrapping it, the Dwarves looked at the weapons before taking one.

"What is this?" Thorin implored.

"Pike hook. Made from an old harpoon."

"And this?" Kili asked, holding up the weapon in his hand.

"A crowbill, we call it. Fashioned from a smithy's hammer. It's heavy in hand, I grant, but in defense of your life, these will serve you better than none."

"We paid you for weapons. Iron-forged swords and axes!" Gloin said aggressively. All of the Dwarves started getting angry, throwing the weapons back down onto the table.

"You won't find better outside the city armory. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key," Bard announced and my eyes flickered over to Thorin and Dwalin who glanced at each other.

"Thorin, why not take what's on offer and go? I've made do with less. So have you. I say we leave now," Balin suggested.

"You're not going anywhere," Bard shouted. "There are spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must wait 'til nightfall." The Dwarves all looked at each other, obviously wanting to move on already. Kili moved away from the table and slowly lowered himself onto the seat by the window, cringing as he did. Sitting next to him, I grabbed onto his hand, squeezing it and whispering to him that he would be alright.

"Can I tell you something?" Kili asked, looking towards at the others. He leaned in closer as I nodded my head, whispering into my ear. "I think my brother might fancy that She-Elf from the Woodland Realm."

I gasped, pulling away to look him in the eye, "You can't be serious. He fancies Tauriel?" He nodded his head, a mischievous glint in his eye. I started giggling, but quickly put my hand up to my mouth to cover it up. Some of the Dwarves looked our way, so I hid my face behind Kili's shoulder as I contained my laughter.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!