Chapter 15 - Kingsfoil and the Courage of Hobbits

*3rd Person*

Kili groaned in pain, squirming in the bed he lay in. The pain in his leg was getting worse and starting to spread throughout his body. Pouring hot water into a bowl, Bofur quickly ran back over to the bed, passing it to Oin "Can you not do something?" Fili asked anxiously, dabbing Kili's forehead with a wet cloth.

"I need herbs. Something to bring down his fever," Oin replied with a shake of his head.

"I have nightshade. I have feverfew," Bard told them, piling a bunch of different medicines onto the table.

"Almithara said something to me earlier as the boat was leaving, but I couldn't understand what she was saying. It was something in Elvish, I think," Fili mentioned, replaying the memory in his head.

"Well, what was it?" Bofur questioned.

"Athelas? She said it would help him."

"Athelas? Athelas. Kingsfoil," Oin repeated before looking over at Bard, "do you have any kingsfoil?"

"No, it's a weed. We feed it to the pigs."

"Pigs? Weed. Right. Don't move," Bofur told Kili before running out the door.

*Almithara's POV*

"You want me to find a jewel?" I asked Balin, following him down a narrow passage way.

"A large, white jewel. Yes."

"That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there," I inquired, glancing back the way we had come.

"There is only one Arkenstone and you'll know it when you see it." Turning, Balin went down a side passage and I followed behind again. He stopped near the end of it, sighing. "In truth, lass, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonor in turning back."

I almost took him up on his offer, but quickly shook my head, "No, Balin. I promised I would do this and I think I must try." I tried to sound as confident as possible, but when I looked down towards the end of the passage, my voice squeaked. All of a sudden, Balin started to chuckle. I looked over at him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"It never ceases to amaze me."

"What's that?"

"The courage of Hobbits. After all those years you've spent with your friend, Bilbo, I think it's rubbed off on you. Or maybe it's the Shifter part of you." I smiled slightly, thinking of my old friend and Balin's kind words. "Go now with as much luck as you can muster." Nodding my head, I sent him a smile before continuing forward. "Oh, Almithara?" I turned at his words as I reached the bottom steps of a small staircase. "If there is, in fact, a live dragon down there, don't waken it." I nodded my head again and turned, stepping down the last step before turning to say something to Balin, but he was already down at the other end of the passage, moving quickly. I poked my head around the corner, before following the path and hoping I wouldn't get lost. Or find a sleeping dragon.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!