Quite an Origin

The Avengers wanted answers. Answers that could not come from the files kept by HSH but only from Layla herself. 

Unfortunately, Layla is unable to answer their questions for many reasons. Reasons that would not become clear to the Avengers for quite some time. Some reasons not even Layla is aware too. 

There were some things the Avengers could piece together. A tiny bit of her story not clouded over with mystery. 

Her story starts at the time of her birth. When her otherworldly powers activated.  

The very first person to meet the crystal blue gaze of the newly born girl was also the first person to fall victim to her otherworldly powers.

One second he was gazing upon his beautifully fresh-faced daughter, the next he was gone. Never to be seen or heard from again.

For years things seemed okay, her eyes no longer scared her mother. Julia Mason no longer flinched whenever her daughter stared at her with that childhood wonder. But good things never last, and like a moth drawn to a flame, disaster struck the young girl's family once again.

The new victim of her powers being the one person she had left.

Her mother.

And unlike her father, her mother's fate was clear. She was dead.

Alas to the girl of merely four years, she had yet to grasp the concept of loss. All she knew was that her parents were gone and she didn't know why.

It seemed like the number of fate in her life was four. Her father disappeared four minutes after her birth. Her mother died when she was four. And on the fourth day on her own, she was approached by four men in black suits.

No one knows how the suits learned about the girl, let alone about her powers. The girl herself didn't even know she was anything but normal. But they knew she was extraordinary, and they knew they needed her.

So as soon as the 'suits' learned that she was by herself- well they just couldn't help themselves. However, when the girl was approached, she suddenly disappeared. There was nothing left behind, nothing except for the house full of memorabilia. The 'suits' couldn't have that. No one else could know about the girl, so they did what they had to.

They burned it all. Every last thing was turned to ashes; medical records, birthday cards, even the frilly dresses in the closet. All of it was gone and no one was there to care because the bright-eyed- superpowered girl was gone.

Along with all of her family.

Four years passed, the suits searched every corner of the earth. For four years every trace of the girl was gone, it was like she never even existed. But four was the magic number and on the anniversary of her disappearance, she reappeared. Despite the lengthy-time period between her last sightings, the 'suits' were there. Where else would a young child go except for their home? They were ready to swoop in the second she set foot on planet earth.

Now eight, the girl had a better understanding of the world and the way things worked. So she knew what was happening when they tied and blindfolded her. 

She was being kidnapped. 

And honestly, she was numb. She wasn't panicked, she wasn't scared. 

She was just done. 

Those four years she was gone, she went through things young children should never have to go through. And no one would ever be able to comprehend the horrors that she witnessed and experienced.

Once the girl was in the suit's claws they whisked her away. They traveled for four weeks. Crisscrossing countries and seas until they finally arrived at their destination.

The entire time her wrists were bound together and a blindfold remained over her eyes. Through this, the 'suits' were able to deduce that her powers relied on sight otherwise she would have escaped from them.  

Now, secured in their grasps, Layla was no longer a person. Various things were done to the girl. None of which she understood at her young age. Nor could she remember no matter how hard she thought about it. 

Her time with the 'suits', as she had always called them, were filled with large gaps of memory. Portions of time where she would return to her cell bound as usual but covered in blood. Blood she knew was not her own. 

As the girl grew she began to learn more about her powers and what she was really capable of. But those four years away from her home haunted and limited her. 

The longer she went dwelling on the past of herself and others the more her powers grew out of control. 

The more she lost control the further her powers developed. As her powers grew, the restraints and bindings increased in a desperate attempt to keep their weapon in control. 

While she was their secret weapon, they were honestly terrified of her. They thought they understood her powers but as soon as they finalized a theory on her abilities a new aspect appeared. So whenever the suits didn't need her powers they kept her restrained by the wrists, making sure the plastic-lined leather gloves and blindfold remained in place.

The break of the four patterns happened when she earned her nickname. 

She was sixteen when she was given the new name of Atë. The Greek goddess of mischief and delusion.

That was her origin, but her story is just beginning. 

NEW a/n: I thought this was a good place for her origin story. I tried not to reveal too much of her origin but left in just enough hints to satisfy some curiosity.  

OLD A/N: Welcome to Kalopsia: the Spirit of Atë. The title will be explained in depth later on. And as you can see from the title this is an Avenger story, I'm not sure when it takes place in the Marvel universe but ill figure it out by the time I post the next chapter. Btw: I'm captain af so this will prob be a Captain America story. But who knows? Oh, and you won't learn her real name for a while, just know she will be referred to by Atë for a while.

somewhat edited 10/11/16

rewritten 12/11/16

edited 3/24/20