Chapter 9: K is for Kristen :)

I walked home crying, it did mean something. It meant so much to me. That kiss was just amazing- a sweet, gentle brush of his lips against mine. I wish he felt the same way but to him it meant 'nothing.' Oh no... Am I a bad kisser? 

I walk up to my room, energy drained from crying. I rest my head on my pillow and fall into a deep, dreamless sleep. I must have been out for a few hours because when I wake up my mom's already calling me for dinner. She made lasagna today, my favorite. 

"Kris I have big news for you, its about the summer holidays." she says.

My smile widens "Are we finally going on a cruise?"

"Yes and it gets better!" she exclaims.

I grin with excitement "Umm.. let's see, you're taking me shopping for the trip?"

I smile, smugly. Ha.. that must be it.

"No." she replies grinning.

My smile falters "Then what's the good news?"

"Ray and his parents are coming with us."

I sputter on the piece of lasagna I had just put into my mouth.

"What?" I ask, praying to God I had heard wrong.

She mistakes my confusion for excitement.

"Yeah. You heard right sweetie, Ray's coming." she says.

I plaster a huge, fake grin on my face. 

"That's awesome mom!" I force myself to say.

"I'm glad you're happy sweetheart." she replies.

"When do we leave?" I ask.

"The day after tomorrow. I know it's a day after school gets out but those are the cruise timings honey."

"I guess I should get packing then!?" I half ask-half say.

She smiles at me "Tell me if you need anything."

"Thanks mom." I yell from my room.

Even if I'm not calm right now.. my room will always be. It has peaceful turquoise walls and I have a gorgeous lime-aqua,striped bedspread. I pick up the phone to call Nats, I really need to talk to her right now.

"Nats, Ray kissed me."

She squeals "The guy my best-friend likes kissed her and she's not happy?" Natalie asks.

"It was amazing, for me. He said it didn't mean anything." I say, hurt.

"Oh Kris, of course it meant something." She groans. "He just said that because he was scared of your reaction."

"No he didn't. I ran away, he called me back but it hurt too much." I say, whispering by the end of it.

"He called you back to apologize. Trust me."

"How do you know?" I ask.

She giggles "Excuse me, resident guy expert here."

"And that's not even the end of it." I moan.

"He's coming on the cruise, isn't he?" 

"Yes." I say, still annoyed.

"I understand you're going to be annoyed K but go easy on him." Natalie says, cautiously.

I laugh "I won't. The minute he does that puppy dog face its all over."

She smiles "You'd be very cute as a couple."

I choose not to reply to that. 

"Kris, you off the phone with Natalie yet? I have a work call to make." My mum yells.

"Sorry Nats, gotta go." I say to her.

"No problem,I'll call you tomorrow before you leave."

I hang up and hand the phone over to my mum.

I quickly pick out the essentials, spend tons of time on my clothes and I'm done packing. Stuff like my ipod, mobile phone, camera, books, mints and sunglasses go into my hand luggage. 

I fall asleep early, my day seems to have had enough excitement as it is.