Chapter 30

The farmer and Nelly look at him and at Adison in awe and a bit of fear, until Vincent tells them: 'Adison is a doctor, but she can also break spells. These men were farmers, like you, until someone spelled them to watch you and attack you. She will free the rest, so please don't hurt them. Neil, will you go with Mrs Kent to check on her daughters and on my little girl?' Nelly and Neil are off inside the house, the farmer and his sons stand around, watching Adison give each man the same treatment. After four, she slows down a little. After six, she starts to look really tired. Vincents says: 'Adison, you look really tired, maybe you should rest a little before you do the last two.' She replies: 'I'll need a full day to recover, dearest, I'd rather do these two as well then have it over with.' Vincent doesn't like it, but this is her part in what is happening, and it needs to be done, so he stands beside her, supporting her. The last two are still unconscious, so she sits down next to one and treats him, slow to get up afterwards. 'Only one more,' she says shakily, as Vincent nearly carries her to the last man. The largest son lifts that one up, making it easier to take hold of him. 'Thank you,' Adison says, then she treats the last man and leans on Vincent's arm, drained.

Eight men are standing dazedly in front of the Kent farm, with no idea how they ended up there. Farmer Kent and his three sons keep a suspicious eye on them. Adison is still leaning heavily on Vincent's arm, and Nelly and Neil come out of the farmhouse with three large girls and one small one behind them. But Nelly is clearly used to running a large household, for she soon has everyone running: 'Heathcliff, you sit down on the porch with your fiancee, what happened to you Adison, did you faint? Catherine, this is your father, Heathcliff, and his fiancee, Miss Adison, say hello to them. Neil, are you sure everything is safe now? Carl and John, you run to the bailiff's to help get these men to their homes, Peter, this is Heathcliff, whom I have often told you about, he's Catherine's dad. Sebastian, come here.' With this, she hugs her youngest stepson, who is clearly starting to realise what has happened. He has downed a man in a fight, a real fight, and he is not ashamed to find solace with his stepmom. 'We all need some tea, girls, please put the kettle on, and we'll follow you inside.

Cramped together on the little porch seat, Vincent and Adison see a raven haired toddler approach them fearlessly, not at all struck by Vincent's different looks as most adults usually are at first. Vincent is amazed by her resemblance of course to the baby she was in his dream two nights ago, but also to her mother, whose features he has come to know well over the last few weeks. His shock of recognition is clearly visible, and Nelly, who is watching their first meeting anxiously, values him for it. Adison is by no means recovered from the intense strain of releasing so many men from an evil spell, and her tiredness makes her a little giddy. She cannot help being bespelled by the little girl's beautiful features, and her beautiful black wavy hair. Leaning forward to touch it, the little girl doesn't shy from her, but rather invites her to pick her up and cuddle her. Adison barely manages, and soon they look like an ideal family on the porch seat, a blond woman with a raven haired child in her arms, sitting against a raven haired man looking at the two in adoration.

Comparing this picture to the Heathcliff and Catherine she knew, Nelly feels less afraid already for the child's future. The ferocious whirlwind she just saw put six men out of action without even raising a sweat, is a reminder of the iron core inside the man she once loved like a son, but the calm presence now doting on the picture his fiancee and daughter make together promises even more. Safety and love, that is what Nelly feels a child needs to grow up happily, and little Catherine now has every chance to find it with her father. Turning away from the happy scene, Nelly leaves the three by themselves. Peter Kent, still confused at what has just happened, and how this will affect his family, awaits the bailiff with his youngest son and the eight confused men, and Nelly and her daughters set a good table for the last lunch with their adoptive daughter. Neil declines an invitation to stay for lunch, he heads for the inn to keep an eye on the carriage and the horses, planning to excersise them to prepare for the return journey.