Chapter 29

Adison tries to get into contact with Vincent, to see how badly he is hurt, but she finds it hard to wake him up. She decides to give him a bit of a new component of her doctor's bag, some of the director's vile liquor. Feeding him a sip from a stoppered vial he sputters and wakes up immediately. He says: 'That really is gross. I got him, didn't I?' Adison looks at him proudly: 'You sure did, you were magnificent, 't was as if you were flying. Shame Bruce couldn't see it. Why weren't you awake just now?' Vincent looks truly surprised: 'I don't know, it got a hit on me only once, and that didn't stun me. You think it spelled me?' Well, at least he seems wide-awake now, she asks: 'Where did he get you, what hurts?' He replies: 'I'm afraid it's the chest again, and my left leg feels painful.' Adison checks both and applies a bandage to stop excessive bleeding, then clears up her stuff and helps Vincent into the carriage. She calls out to the driver: 'Mister, are the horses able to go on to the inn? And can you get them past that?' she points at the body of the monster lying across part of the road. Neil answers: 'No problem to both questions. Is the master all right?' Adison replies: 'He is wounded and needs further attention, but it can wait until we reach the inn, with clean water and light and a bed. Will you lead the horses past the carcass?' Neil observes: 'Won't get them past it otherwise Miss Adison. You step into the carriage with the master and take care of him, I'll get us to the inn.' He really seems to care what happens to Vincent, and she says: 'Thank you, I will.'

Very soon they are indeed well on their way to their destination, and now both of them realise what has happened. 'Vincent, you killed a huge monster on your own. Even Bruce would have had trouble with that. You are an even better fighter than I realised. Were you scared?' He laughs, wounds forgotten, giddy with a feeling of triumph: 'Yes I was, for a second, and then I fell into a fighting stance and I became totally quiet and confident.' "I saw that, you just let him attack you. Your moves were stunning, you seemed to fly,' Adison says admiringly. 'I can hardly believe it myself, it felt as if I was in a play, not as if it was really happening, everything seemed to slow down. When I got hit it didn't even hurt, I just got up and delivered the final blow. I split that thing's skull in two, Adison, with one blow. I must be very strong indeed, stronger than any of us realised.' Adison wraps her arms around him and says: 'I was scared, though, that huge thing and you on your own, I'm glad it's over, and I'll be even gladder when I've seen how bad your wounds are and when I've treated them.' He kisses her and says: 'But until then, you can hold me and kiss me, and tell me how brave I was.' And so she does, and within an hour they reach their destination, the only inn in Gimmerton.

Their arrival causes quite a stir, theirs is the first carriage to arrive at night for at least a month, and the appearance of Vincent covered in blood proves that something dangerous really is out there. They have made a deal with Neil, he will enjoy a few beers in the tap room, telling everyone that wants to hear about the attack of the gytrash and its demise, whilst Adison and Vincent, or Heathcliff as he is known here, will get cleaned up and his wounds treated. The inn has a bathhouse, so they make use of that first, cleaning up carefully and soaking some of the tension out of Vincent's muscles. Then they retreat to their own room where Adison checks him over minutely, treating two or three major slashes and a bite mark. He is also bruised quite extensively, but that is more his usual state than exceptional. Adison decides to stitch the three slashes, knowing how careless he is with wounds. Then some Chinese herbal treatment to speed up healing and prevent infection, and they are ready to dress for supper, which they take in the taproom to give the people the sensation they want. After such a fight, sleep will be slow to come anyway, and this will make Vincent look good with little Catherine's adoptive family.

After supper they arrange to have a boy sent to Mrs Kent the next morning, hoping she will agree to see them. Then Vincent sits back with a complimentary drink from the landlord, and he answers a load of questions from the inn staff, about the gytrash and how he killed it all by himself. They all call him Mr Heathcliff, and treat him with the greatest respect. Adison overhears some maids wondering how such a friendly looking man could be a dangerous fighter. She can imagine their doubt, sitting there telling stories Vincent is much more the actor than the born fighter. It reminds her that Vincent has been on the stage every night for months, excepting the last few days. Maybe he misses his audience and has agreed to tell his story himself to have one. After his public appearance they retire to their room to get some sleep, but lying in the soft warm bed together they take some time for eachother first. Vincent holds Adison close, strokes her hair and her face, and her female curves, kissing every part of her, whispering: 'I'm so very glad to have you by my side, I want you with me always.' She relishes the attention, but still teases him a little: 'And here I thought you preferred an audience to my company.' He looks at her, yellow eyes still hungry, lifts an eyebrow and observes: 'I'd rather have a theatre filled with people watching a role I play than those few admiring my person. You make me feel real, you know the real me and take him down to earth if he needs it.' She moves on top of him and kisses him passionately, stroking his beardless face, and his broad chest, glad to finally have some time together. They cuddle some more, then make love quietly, and fall asleep with their bodies tangled together.