Chapter 13

I couldn't believe it.

My body was in utter shock, a state of mind that constricted my movement as I stared at the guy before me.

Draco Malfoy, my almost boyfriend, was standing there. What hurt even more was what he said.

"I don't want to be with you anymore," he whispered, "I have fallen in love with someone else."

I felt tears prick at my eyes and I didn't care how ridiculous I looked, I just let them fall. I let Draco win.

"You used me this whole time?"

"N-n-..." Draco paused, "Yes, I did."

And with that, he walked away. So much for my Yule Ball date - it was already the Tuesday before, and I knew I probably wouldn't get a date by then.

Despite Pansy being one of my closest friends, she decided to go with Blaise. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled about the idea, but I gave her the go ahead if she's into him. Which I'm not sure she is.

After crying for a while - it's realistic, really - I decided to go find myself a new date. I still had some pride, and I wasn't going down without a battle.

As I stumbled into the Great Hall for lunch, I spotted Neville seating himself at the Gryffindor table.

He could be an option. We spoke in Herbology sometimes.

Or another Slytherin. Even someone from Luna's house would do - I didn't speak to the Ravenclaw girl as often as I used to, but we were still friends so I could ask for her recommendation.

Upon walking past Neville to get to the Slytherin table, he called my name.

"May... May I speak to you outside for a moment?" He asked nervously.

"Sure," I agreed, a wide smile apparent on my features. Maybe he had the same idea as I did.

When we got outside, Neville started speaking, "Okay, so I know we're just friends and all, but I was wondering if..."

This was it.

"...you'd like to be my date to the Yule Ball? Like... A p-proper date."

I grinned and nodded, giving Neville a hug. I swore I saw a glimpse of blonde next to us, but as I craned my neck to look I saw no one.

"I'd love to, Neville," I told him honestly, "I was thinking the same thing."

"I'm so glad," Neville replied, his cheeks bright crimson.

"Me too," I said, giving him a peck on the cheek, "I'm going to have lunch now, I'll see you later. Also, I'll get you a matching tie."

Neville grinned and skipped happily back into the Great Hall with me, eyes full of pure joy.

I saw Draco sat at the Slytherin table, but I completely blanked him and sat next to Daphne.

"He says he's moved on," I whispered in her ear as I sat.

"WHAT?!" She yelled, rising from her seat with great speed and force, "Draco, who the hell do you-"

"Leave it, Daph. I'm going to the ball with Neville."

"Longbottom? Well, that's not so bad, he's pretty cute," Daphne replied, instantly calm.

"I know," I said, nodding, "I still can't believe Draco. I must have cried for hours..."

"If he's going to do that to you, he's not worth your time. I really thought he'd changed; that he'd commit to you - but obviously he hasn't," Daphne sighed.

That's when I remembered Dumbledore's words.

He may not show it, but his feelings are more than what he shows on the surface.

I felt my stomach churn. Dumbledore was never wrong. Either this was a massive downfall, a fluke, or Dumbledore wasn't wrong at all.

Considering Draco's actions, the latter wasn't very likely.

"Will you come to Hogsmeade with me tomorrow?" I asked Daphne, "The professors said we can go in our last two periods as they're free anyway."

She nodded happily, "You are going to match Neville, right?"

I smiled, telling her I would do anything to make Draco Malfoy regret his decision.