Chapter 4

You and Nepeta spot the language arts classroom and once the two of you step foot inside, Nepeta squeals and waves to someone and runs to a table. You follow behind her since you know her, but you don't want to seem too clingy, so you keep some distance between both of you. She sits at a table in the front near the teachers desk, next to another troll with a broken horn and sunglasses. Speaking of sunglasses, Dave was there as well, sitting next Rose who was on the end across from that one troll who was now wiping himself with a towel.

You sit on the other side of Dave as class beings. Ugh. The main reason why you love the first day of school is that all of the classes are just icebreaker games and such, but she is actually teaching a lesson. You can tell that this teacher is going to be a real bitch. You get out your journal and tear out two pages to take notes. You feel a tap on your shoulder. You jolt a bit and look over to see Dave staring at you, "Psst, [L/N], right?" You nod. Wow. Now he finally notices you. "Can I have some paper?" he whispers. You smile and tear out some for him and he looks at a page of your journal that is covered in writing. You notice this and quickly shut it. "Are you writing a fan fiction?" he questions you. Before you can shake your head no, he covers his mouth and starts to snicker. "H-holy shit are you writing a lemon." You punch his arm, but not hard enough for the teacher to notice you. "Get your head out of the gutter Strider, it's an original story I'm writing about a detective." You look once again at the big muscular troll who was obediently paying attention the the power point on the projector screen. "Hey, who's tall, strong, and sweaty over there?" you quietly ask Dave. "Oh him? That's Equius Zahhak, Nepeta's moirail, unlikely friends right?" You both chuckled, it was true, you never really imagined cute lil Nepeta hanging out with Equius, but what do you know about her? You literally met her around an hour ago.

You start to take notes but then out of the corner of you see Dave cleaning something. It's hard to make out since it's so dark in the classroom with the PowerPoint but- are those his sunglasses? Why does he even wear those things inside anyways? You reach over to grab or touch them but once your hand comes into his line of sight he puts them back on quickly and swats your hand away. "Aw cmon! I just wanna try them on." He shook his head and then looked away from you, almost nervous. You groan, "Wow, I came out here to have a fun time and I'm honestly feeling really attacked right now." you quote from the encyclopedia of Internet memes that is your brain. Dave doesn't respond. What's gotten over him?

You were about to say something again when the lights turn on in the classroom and the teacher starts to speak. "Ms. [L/N] and Mr. Strider. Care to explain to the class you two were talking about?" Your whole table and probably the whole classroom looks at the two of you. You make eye contact with Rose and Nepeta kind of nod over to the projector screen where a slide is up with a list of materials you need for the class. "Why yes Ms. Jackson," you begin to say with confidence, "I was just asking Dave where I could buy a- an" "An audio recorder." Dave interrupts your stuttering with his calm cool voice, "for when we want to record you're lectures." Dave then starts to make a face similar to cartoon dog eyes. "Unless using our phones is okay with you?" The teacher glares slightly at the two of you, "You know, if you didn't want to be so lazy you could physically write notes. This is language arts you know. But yes, phones are fine." She says, not amused. The class breaks out into "Yes!" and "Phew!" Rose looks over at you again and nods in approval, "A nice save indeed." she compliments the two of you... you think, she can sound very sarcastic sometimes. Then Dave looks at you and winks through his shades, as if to say, "Don't worry, I got your back." and you wink back at him.

Then the class is over, on your way out the teacher hands you your assigned reading. Great, homework on the first day of school, too? You looked over at Rose and Dave who ended up on both sides of you, then Nepeta walked by you waved bye, but she didn't notice, she was too busy talking to Equius. You looked down at the ground, slightly embarrassed. "Who ya waving to [Y/N]?" Dave asked. You looked up at him. Man he is tall. "Oh just Nepeta, but she didn't really return the favor." "It is always quite awkward and frustrating when that happens isn't it?" Rose says and you nod. "So," she continues, "where are you off to next?" "I'm going to history." Dave does a small flip of his white blonde hair to get it out of his face, "Yeah, we went there last period, Rose and I have basically the same schedule since our mom kind of requested it. She's weird like that." "Really?" you ask, "Yep." Rose replies, "Except I'm going to PE next but Dave has it 8th." You smile, "That's when Karkat and I have it, too." Dave gives you a little nod, "Great. Cya there." as he makes a turn to the stairs to go to up and Rose goes into the gym. "See you [Y/N]." She waves and you wave back as you look down once more at your schedule.

'Room 108' it read. You stop dead in your tracks, and look at the room number to the side of you. '108.' Woah, how convenient, your here. And you turn to face the door and walk inside.