Chapter 1

"BEEP BEEP BEEP"

You slowly open your eyes halfway and gain just enough strength to lift up your fist and slam it onto your alarm clock to make it shut up. However, it keeps beeping. You encourage your still sleepy body to sit up in your bed and look around the room to find the source. It was your phone. Someone must be pestering you. Correction: Jade must be pestering you, since she was the only chum you had.

Ever since you first moved to the city of Alternia over the summer and before you were even done packing and settling into your new home of block 107 in the Sburb apartment building, your neighbor Jade Harley was there at your door with a big welcome bouquet of flowers. That was also the day you both discovered that your mom was VERY allergic to chrysanthemums. Ever since "the incident" you two have become best friends and still joke about it to this day.

You kicked the gray and white striped covers off of your body and walked all the way to the other side of your white walled room where your phone was charging on the floor. You sat down on the floor next to the charger and see the conversation.

--gardenGnostic [GG] has started pestering kungfuDetective [KD] at 7:00--
GG: wake up sleepy head! :)
GG: [Y/N]?
KD: yeah yeah. i'm here. what is it?
GG: well its the first day of school silly! remember how we planned to get on the bus together to make sure we could sit next to each other? i am waiting outside your door! :D
KD: oh shit. yeah i remember now. sorry my alarm didn't go off. I will let you in but i need like 15 minutes to get ready.
GG: ok, just dont make us late slow poke, lol.
GG: <3
--kungfuDetective [KD] has ceased responding to gardenGnostic [GG] at 7:15--

You turn off your phone and quickly get dressed. You run towards the door ignoring your mom questioning you what you want for breakfast and open the door for Jade. "Morning!" She says smiling and waving. You chuckle "You always amaze with how happy you can be in the morning. Especially for a school day." She walks in from outside and wipes her feet on the 'Welcome' rug. "I just can't wait to show you around Skaia High!" She replies and then turns to your mom. "Good morning Ms. [L/N]." She waves as you you grab onto her other arm and drag her into the bathroom where you start to brush your teeth.

"So tell me about this school again?" You say muffled with a mouth full of toothpaste, looking at yourself in the mirror. "Well that's attractive." She giggles at you standing next to you leaning on the sink. "Anyways, it's called Skaia High, we have a football team and the whole 'Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior' thing. But you already missed freshman year, but don't worry, you'll make friends with the people there quickly. However the thing I keep stressing to you is-" "I know I know." You interrupt her rudely and quote from the enormous amount of conversations the two of you have had about it. "Not everyone there is human. You've shown me what they look like, their culture, etc. But what I'm trying to stress to YOU is that your saying I can easily make friends with the people there. What about the trolls? They still seem kind of intimidating..." You finish brushing your teeth and put your [H/L], [H/C] hair in a ponytail as both of you walk out into the kitchen where you grab a cereal bar, say bye to your mom and go out with Jade to the bus stop.

While sitting on a bench waiting for the bus there is an awkward silence between you and Jade. You reflect on what happened in the apartment and start to feel very guilty. You turn to Jade and put a hand on her shoulder. "Jade I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kind of snapped back there. I'm just really nervous about the new school, not to mention new species." you apologize to her. You then open your cereal bar and offer her half, the two of you much on the bar together and then Jade speaks up. "N-no," she starts to say, "You're right. I never told you how the trolls at our school act and I find that really foolish of me and now it's too late. What if you don't make friends with them!" She bites her fingernails slightly worried. You throw the wrapper away and walk back to the bench. "Well no matter what, I will always have you, Jade." You both hug each other, and then out of nowhere, a big, hairy, fake spider hanging from a string lands right on top of Jade's head. Jade shrieks and you then hear laughter from behind them bench. You look over to see John Egbert, Jade's step brother. You've met him countless of times from visiting Jade's apartment, however he was usually on his computer or watching Nic Cage movies and you never got to talk to him and know him that well. "Don't forget me!!" He almost shouts as he springs up with a big cheesy grin on his face. "Ugh, JOHN." Jade whines. But you couldn't help but put your hand over your mouth and snicker. John walks around the bench but Jade refuses to let him sit next to her, so he goes to the other side and sits next to you. "Hey [Y/N]." he waves.

You're about to say hi back to him but just then the big yellow bus pulls up and there is a blonde kid with circular sunglasses sticking his head out the window. "C'mon Egbert stop flirting with your girlfriend and get on the god damn bus! The only other guy on here so far is Karkat and he is being such a pain in the ass!" You see John blush slightly and you feel the heat rising to your cheeks as well as you try not to make eye contact with either boys, and quickly turn to Jade who is starting to stand up to get on the bus. You start to stand up too and from behind you you hear John yelling back at the blonde boy, "B- but Dave she's not- we're not. Ugh fine." John catches up to you and Jade and he whispers to you, "Sorry about that [Y/N]. Dave can be a real douche sometimes." You nod to him and suddenly you are at the steps of the bus. Jade is already on and she has saved a seat for you but you don't budge for some reason, as much as you will yourself to move you can't, you just keep staring at the steps. "Hey fuckass, you gonna get on the bus or what?" you hear a raspy voice say. It must've been that other kid Dave was talking about, Karkat, and doesn't he sound happy with you? You give out a sigh and put one hand on the railing. "Well, here goes nothing." You mumble to yourself as you hesitantly but surely, walk onto the bus that is going to take you to the one school that will end up changing your life for good.