Friday May 8th 2015

Start from the beginning

"I can't do that." I answered. "You know, we both know I can't do that."

"Joan, open, please. Please." he repeated more softly.

"I can't. I can't!" I repeated like a broken record.

Suddenly, all the others raised their heads and looked directly at their cameras before they came closer as if they were seeing it for the first time.

'What the hell?!' I thought. 'Did they hear us?! How??!'

"Preeeeze!" Seungri said to the camera, now so close his face filled the whole frame, smiling childishly, as he had climbed on the wall and was now hanging from the little machine like a monkey (however I could hear it was about to break under his weight :x).

"Preeze!"

"Preeze!"

"Preeze!" The others went on.

Their five faces were looking up at me, their eyes now filled with hope. What was wrong with them all of a sudden? Did they know what was going on? Did they hear other staff members talk about their termination? I looked at them in disbelief when I suddenly noticed the big red button next to the microphone as if he had appeared out of nowhere and only now started to exist. I knew that if I pressed it, both their doors and the iron curtain would open for a certain time. And then, what would be their shortest way to the exit?

'What am I thinking?' I realized. 'Of course they wouldn't get out of here alive! Neither would you! If you even think about it, you're dead! Both literally and figuratively!'

As my eyes were now on that button and my fingers were so close to it, I clenched my hand into a fist and looked away. The boys were still waiting for my answer, hanging on to my words. I bit my lips.

"I'm sorry. No. I can't do that, guys. I'm sorry." I repeated a little lower.

When they heard the syllable "No.", all of them bowed their head in disappointment, turned their back and went back to their spot except T.O.P who kept glaring at me.

"There's nothing I can do. I'm powerless." I insisted, although I wasn't sure he knew that word.

I suddenly heard a hiss coming from the monitors. The five of them must have heard it too as it made them jump and turn their heads to see where it was coming from. The hissing sound became louder and louder as the corners of their ceilings slowly opened and began to fill their cells with colored gas. I watched them cough and lean closer to the ground, panicked. Had I activated a button? I hadn't touched anything though! I was sure of that! Or was it already time for their termination and released automatically?!!

Most of them were now gasping for air as Taeyang staggered towards his door and punched it fiercely with both of his fists yet his punches slowly became weaker and weaker by the second. They all started to stumble and fall to the ground as G-Dragon, now on his hands and knees, cried the four others' names at the top of his lungs along with something in Korean which I did not understand but was probably nothing else but a cry for help.

A cold sweat dribbled down my temples when I saw him finally collapse and the four others were now lying on the ground, unconscious but still breathing very weakly as the gas kept filling their cells.

They were all dying in front of me. I couldn't stand it any longer.

Without thinking, I pounded the red button and rushed out of the room and into the lab, hoping I would not be caught by Joseph or anybody before I came back. As the iron curtain was still opening very slowly, I bent over, went to the other side then started to run again with gas masks in hands.