Chapter 6: Let's Play

Start from the beginning

'Good girl,' He smiled and rose from the tree he was leaning against, shooting me a wink and walking over to the Lost Boys and blowing some imaginary notes into a pipe. I raised an eyebrow, smirking at how ridiculous this island truly was. I remembered that pipe and the time I gave it to him like it was only yesterday:

#Flashback#

'Here.' I said smiling, passing the panpipes to him. He studied them carefully, turning them over on his hands to feel the groove of the pieces of bamboo fastened together. Malcolm smiled romantically, the smile only I exclusively ever saw.

'What is it?' He wondered gently, sliding down from the armchair to become closer to me, as I leant together making a small hat for Rumple, as winter was drawing closer. He brought it to his lips and blew, but as I suspected, I heard nothing.

'It's my promise to you in the form of panpipes.' I replied and when he still seemed slightly confused, I continued, 'I placed a charm on it so that it is magical. Only certain boys can hear it, you see. Boys who feel unloved. Boys who feel lost. That is why I can't hear it, because I am a girl.'

'What does it promise?' Malcolm asked, lifting the panpipes from his lips to look at me again.

'It is a reminder to you that I will always be there, no matter what. Every time you bring your lips to the panpipes, you are like kissing them goodnight, wishing my return. I promise I won't leave you, but I wanted to give you this just in case.' I told him and he smiled sadly, nodding, before he brought his lips to the instrument, and sweet music was playing. I didn't know whether he could hear it, but he never really grew up, so I knew he would.

#Flashback over#

I sat back on my log and sulked, not wanting to look at or talk to anyone. Peter Pan was just like anyone: selfish, cruel and heartless.

'Want to come along and speak to the other Lost Boys, Tiger Lily?' Peter asked, smirking at me. My eyes snapped up, then almost immediately travelled back down again so that I was looking at the feet, my comfortably bare feet. On the Jewel of the Realm I wore shoes because of rubber and leather, but the forest allowed my feet to be bare, which was always more comfortable and natural to me because it reminded me of my childhood.

'I'd rather be left alone, Pan.' I forced back tears, my heart tired of everything. I felt almost sickened by everything that had happened that day and all because Pan was spiteful and selfish enough to force me to stay in Neverland with the Lost Boys. Rumple was dead, Oliver was sent away, the natives had been slaughtered and now I was trapped in Neverland with Peter Pan again. I couldn't begin to comprehend what the uncertain future could hold.

'Is it true you gave up your magic so that you could gain eternal youth and live here with me?' Peter asked curiously and my eyes snapped up to meet his, biting my lip anxiously.

'The shadow only wanted part of my magic.' Came my ambiguous reply, but we both knew what that meant. I didn't want to talk about it, but Peter did, so we would. 'I just hate my magic, it cost me my family and you know it. The natives, the island, my husband and even my son. I wasn't sad to see it go.' I mumbled eventually.

'Never say that, Tiger Lily. Whatever magic you have left, whatever it does, you can't ignore it, you have to help it grow. Magic isn't a curse if you don't want it to be, it can be a gift. It won't go away, you have to learn to live with it and control it.' He mused, cocking his head slightly to the side to await my anxious reply.

'I can't control it, Pan, I don't know how.' I said loud and clear, frustrated with myself.

'Not with that attitude, Tiger.' He teased and he laughed, before sinking deeper into his seat on the log by the fire. 'You know, I can't help you with your magic, because I know it is very different from mine. I can control my magic one way, but you may have to control your own another way.'