Lucas

As I walk down the street in the cold December air, I try to find the perfect gift for Maya. It's been almost a year and a month since we've been dating, and Christmas is in twelve days. It has to be perfect. Luckily for us, Riley did approve. At first she was angry, sad, betrayed, and extremely moody. Luckily after a while she realized she was in love with Farkle. Thank goodness. It would have ruined our entire friendship if she didn't forgive us. I can still remember her face, and the argument she had with us when we told her.

 "Maya I don't think you should go out with him. He used to be the bully back in Texas, remember?" "I do. And he USED to. He's changed." "You don't know if you're really in love, it's only the eighth grade!" "Yes. And does the same go for you and your crush on him?" "Well..." "Exactly. You're just jealous. Besides. You'd be a lot cuter with Farkle." "What! That's crazy talk! He's just my friend." "Lucas was just my friend too." "He's so weird." "So are you." "He's a huge flirt." "'Lucas hello'" I laugh at her mimic of Riley. "You're perfect for each other. Trust me." Luckily a week later, they did go out and Riley forgot all about her crush on me. 

But what to get Maya. She told me she's never really gotten a lot of presents since her mom doesn't have a good job. I need to make this Christmas one she'll never forget. All the shops have things like lotions. Chocolates, jewelry, and clothes. While those are nice, I need something she won't expect. Something amazing. I hear a bark. I'm at the animal shelter. Perfect! 

I walk inside, and it's instantly warmer. Not that I was freezing, but it was cold. There was snow on the ground and it was dark out. An old lady greets me. "Hello young sir. What can I help you find today?" She asks. She reminds me of Mamaw back in Texas. "I'm looking for a Christmas present for my girlfriend." I say. She smiles, her face wrinkling even more. "Oh how lovely! Do you know what she wants?" I think for a moment. We've never really talked about what kind of pets we would want before. "I don't know." I say in defeat. "Hmm. Tell you what. Why don't you go look around and find her the perfect new friend." She says. I nod. "Thanks ma'am." I walk towards the cages. I see snakes and birds, ferrets, hamsters, fish, cats, dogs, lizards, frogs, and even a scorpion.

 Then in the very back corner, I see it. The perfect present for Maya. An adorable little kitten. At first I wasn't sure what it was, it was so fluffy. It's a light grey with slightly darker grey stripes. The brightest bluest eyes I have ever seen, a white belly and paws. The old woman is beside me again. "We found this little girl yesterday on the side of the road. She's only four weeks old, and was abandoned by her parents." She says. Just like Maya. Maya got left, and so did this kitten. It's practically meant to be. "May I hold her?" I ask. She nods. I pick her up gently. She's so small, she fits inside my hand. She gives a soft meow and purrs, rubbing her little head in my hand. I gently pet her. "Maya's going to love you. You're so cute, how could she not?" I tell the kitten. She purrs louder, but it's still so quiet. I hold her close to my chest, not willing to put her down. 

"How much for this kitten?" I ask the lady. "You can have her. She's yours." The lady says. I smile. "Well you do need to get her registered though, so she really will be yours." "Okay. She's going to be my girlfriends though, is that okay?" I ask. The kitten licks my cheek and meows again. I chuckle. "That's fine. Okay come with me sir." I follow her to the desk. "Okay. What's your name, date of birth, and phone number?" "Lucas Friar. November 24, 1999. 123 - 456- 7890." I say. She nods and writes it down. "Okay, and what do you want to name this little lady here?" I think for a moment. Lilly, Misty, Tinker Bell, Mae. Mae is cute, but nothing sounds right. Then the song, Deck The Halls, comes on. 'Deck the halls with boughs of holly. Holly. That's her name. "Holly Mae." I say. She smiles and writes it down. The kitten purrs loudly. "I guess she likes it." I chuckle. 

As I finish getting the kitten registered, I get some things for her. A collar, bed, dishes, toys, brush, food, and treats. Everything a kitty might need. Perfect. This Christmas will be perfect. Just me, Maya, and her new kitten, Holly Mae.