Ch. 16 - Go Green

Start from the beginning

I block out the rest of the words coming through the intercom. Unwrapping Sam's blanket, I bound down the bleachers to rush towards the field. Sam calls out for me, but I ignore her.

I sprint down the bleachers, my mind racing with different thoughts. My parents meet me on the field. My dad wraps his arm around my shoulder and holds me to his side. My mom is standing near the huddle, her hand covering her mouth.

"What happened? Is he-is he going to be okay?"

The coach turns to face my father and me. "The paramedics think he'll be okay. It's just a concussion."

I cover my mouth with my hand, my eyes filling with tears as the paramedics put my brother on a stretcher.

"Harris," coach screams, "get your ass over here!"

Zander stands up from the bench, tripping over the Gatorade container and falling on the ground. He stands up and rushes to coach's side.

"Yes, sir? Do you need me to get you something from your car?" he asks nervously.

"What? No! You're going in."

Zander looks at me with wide eyes and then back to coach. "In where?"

"The game, Harris! The game!" coach screams. "Hurry up and get in the huddle."

He gasps and starts to pull off his sweatshirt, which gets stuck. I help him pull it off and throw it on the bench.

"Good luck, Z," I say and give him a quick hug. "Play for Wren."

"I'll meet you at the hospital after the game," he promises and kisses my cheek. "This is for Wren."

My awkward and uncoordinated best friend makes his way to the team huddle. As proud of him as I am, my mind is preoccupied with thoughts of Wren.

My mom went in the ambulance with my brother. My father and I run off the field and to the parking lot. I know he's worried about Wren, but he keeps a stoic face to keep me calm.

"He's a strong boy, Ry. He's going to be fine."

I nod. "Yeah, I know."

We don't talk during the drive to the hospital, both of our minds in a different place. Once we park, I frantically unlock my door and rush into the hospital with my dad behind me. We meet my mother who is sitting outside the operation room.

"Mom," I call, wrapping my arms around her once I reach her.

She kisses my cheek and holds me tightly. My dad then takes over the hug. I sit down in one of the waiting chairs, biting my lip.

"How is he?" my dad asks.

"He had a heart attack on the way to the hospital," my mom informs, her head resting against my father's chest. "He might have internal bleeding as well."

I cover my mouth with my hand in disbelief. "Oh my gosh.."

"All we can do is think positively," my father reminds.

I nod, holding my head in my hands. The three of us sit down and wait. While waiting, I decide it would be a good idea to give Asher a quick call. I could use his embrace right now.

"Hello?" Tucker answers the phone. "Riley? What's up?"

"Uh, can I talk to Asher?" I ask.

"He's busy right now." I hear a girl giggle and then Tucker shushes her. "Can I take a message?"

"Well, I just..I kind of need him." I run a hand through my hair. "Wren's in the hospital."

"Oh, damn," he breathes out. "I'll let him know."