Monday April 6th

Start bij het begin

Basically, back to twenty-five years ago, his award for his discoveries on the evolution of the human nervous system encouraged him to go on with his works on chemical stimulants of all kinds: intellectual, physical, sensual... His dream was that, with a single drop, instead of needles and pills, any ordinary guy would turn into a meta-human at will. Needless to say, when his works finally started to show positive results about fifteen years ago, back when he was still living in the US, the army soon courted him, saying they were "very interested" in his quest for a better future of human evolution. That's when they sent him to Korea for the first time so he could access to the highest technology of Camp Humphrey without the fear of being spied on as he would have been in America. However, when they saw that the budget was more and more expansive and the progress not quick enough for their taste, they cut his funds and brought him back home.

That's when he kept working on his own and started teaching in Harvard. As the youngest, nerdiest of my class, I remember that moody, super-smart teacher I was so fond of but everybody hated. I always loved people who would stand out. I guess I kind of thought myself of a rebel that way. I was always looking forwards to his courses and see that sophisticated man that always looked like he thought all of his students and colleagues were morons and he shouldn't belong there. Yet I remember I was the exception, either because I was the only one who had the answer to most of his questions or because I would just smile at him anytime he would look at me. Behind the arrogance, I could feel that he and I were close in our loneliness. So, as time went by, we started to talk outside of class, then we would hang out together, then we would go to each other's home for a last drink, yadi yadi yada... and now he lets me call him Jo-Jo all I want :D

I also remember that time, about a year ago, when he was called back to Korea: as he kept working at distance with his team, his long-term calculations had proven to be right and now the government wanted him to get back to work. I remember he was as excited as a kid on Christmas. I had never seen him so happy! I cried all the tears I had when he left, even though we kept contact afterwards. Then one day, he called me, did not say "Hi" or "How are you" and directly asked me if I trusted him and if he could trust me. Of course, I said yes. Then he paused and said: "Call all your friends and say goodbye. I'm buying you a ticket to Korea. You'll be leaving the day after tomorrow to work with me from now on." It took me barely 24 hours to decide and pack my things. That's how much I needed him in my life.

About the "meta-human changed by a liquid" part of his tirade, when I asked him jokingly if he had been inspired by the Ninja Turtles, he didn't even pretend to laugh. He was so serious I thought I upset him for a second. Speaking of turtles, of course, some dozens of rats, frogs and monkeys might have paid the price in the process. I know I should feel sorry for them –and I do! I would never do that on my own D: – but Joseph taught me well that affection and Science have proven times and times again to be terrible bedfellows. Or at least, that's what I expected him to say. But when I mentioned his own words, he stood silent, as if my words made him hesitate to go on. Suddenly, he took my hand and told me to follow him. What, did he test his stuff on tigers and gorillas too? Or... wait... did he test it on kittens??! NOOOOOOOOOOOO Please Jo-Jo, leave the kitties alone D:

We walked through another hallway and stopped in front of a door which was far away from the lab and the offices. As we stood there, Joseph looked me in the eyes and asked me in a very serious tone if I trusted him. When I said yes, he asked if he could trust me. Of course, once again, I said yes. Then he smiled at me and opened the door.

The room we entered was square and smaller than the others. A guard was sitting on a chair, staring distractedly at the screens in front of him that occupied half of the walls. Joseph told me to take a closer look as he pointed at six of them. When I looked up at them, I stood there in awe: six boys were sleeping in what seemed like six white cells. The said cells didn't seem to have much furniture: a mattress, a toilet seat, a table, and that's it. They were all lying on their mattress with their eyes closed. As they were filmed from upwards, I could see their backs lift lightly on a regular pace. They looked peaceful. When I asked him their age, Joseph said they were all around barely five years younger than me. I was shocked. They all looked like they were much younger, like 16! But well, Koreans often look younger than their age, especially compared to us Americans (again, noooooot jealous). Suddenly, the guard pressed a button and a loud buzzing sound came from behind the wall in front of us and made me jump.