19 Eye Issues Again

Start from the beginning

Is she not worried in the slightest?

"I don't need him mad at either of us." She sighs.

"I'll go get your parents."

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Why?"

"Well for one I'll tell Travis that you snuck into his room because you wanted to kiss him while he was asleep because you were too embarrassed to do it while he was awake."

"You wouldn't." I shake my head. "My embarrassment is worth the price to help your potentially dead brother."

"Still wouldn't do it."

"Hanna--"

"You'll give my mom a heart attack. Trust me, Addy, he's done this before."

No help here than. "You're right, Hanna. I should just listen to you." I can't deal with this right now-- it's the middle of the night.

"Exactly."

"Sorry for waking you." I shut her door. He's not getting off the hook this easily. I'm getting answers, and I'm getting them tonight.

I return to his room and lock the door. Hopefully once he returns it will buy me a few moments before he throws me out. That is as long as he doesn't throw me out the window. I grab the remote to his fan and take a seat on the edge of his bed. The clock says three fifty-seven.

At four forty-five I hear a thud. Travis' form slides through his window gracefully.

I press the button on the remote and the light comes on. My eyes want to squeeze shut, but I force them to stay open. "Well, well, well, look what the dog dragged in."

He stares at me. "Addy?"

"I only told Hanna. She didn't seem to care. But Travis, I hate to do this, but I need answers."

"I can't--"

"I'll tell your parents. Like I said I hate to do this. But you found me and lied about how, and I'm sick of being in the dark."

"What? I didn't lie."

"I never screamed. You said that's how you knew where I was."

He swallows, glancing out the window, probably debating if he should run or not. "I don't have an answer, besides I can't remember." He drags his hand down his face, stretching the skin. "Are you going to ask where I was?"

"That is none of my business. But what I want to know is what has to do with me. Why can't I go in the woods tomorrow night? Why does everyone keep bringing up the full moon?"

He continues staring out the window, his face contorting in anger, and he shakes his head.

"What's wrong?"

His head snaps to mine, his eyes slightly glowing yellow. I gasp, pushing myself farther back in his bed. He shakes his head again, his eyes back to normal.

Pulling my knees to my chest, my eyes widen. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"See, this is what I mean? Everything that comes out of your mouth is a lie." Eyes that turn black flash in my head. I burry my head between my knees. "Why did your eyes change?"

"Huh? Probably a trick of the light. How long have you been sitting here? Maybe you hallucinated."

"His eyes changed color."

His face changes into a wary one. "Whose?"

"Do you know the real reason why I'm here?"

"To hang out with Hanna since she's your friend."

"Hanna and I had never hung out before. Why now?"

"What are you saying?"

"My parents were worried about my mental and physical state, so they sent me with you."

He walks forward a few steps. "Why?"

"Because my best friend was kidnapped while I was with her."

"Addy, I'm— Why weren't you taken?"

"They didn't want me." I shrug, swallowing hard. "Everything about it was weird. They were too strong for me to do anything. They wanted her alive. But as for me--they were debating whether or not to kill me."

Travis' hands clench.

"The one who grabbed her, his eyes-- they turned black. Eyes don't change colors. But then yours just did. I need to be able to trust you. But I can't. Not when you don't tell the truth."

He scratches his forehead. "There's a--a gang. They do some crazy stuff on full moons. I don't want to imagine what they'd do to you. Can you and Hanna please just stay in on that night, please? Especially Hanna. She needs to stay in. She's in the most danger."

"Why her? What does she have anything to do with it?"

"They know her. If they see her, she'll--she'll die."

"Die?"

He nods his head.

"Why?"

"Like I said, the full moon does crazy things to people and their mental states."

"I'll be sure she stays in. You'll probably have to bribe her though."

"I'll tell her I'll take you on a date."

My cheeks redden. He's not serious, right? "Ummm. . ."

"Don't worry. We don't have to call it a date. Just two friends hanging out. Now you should probably get back to your room before my sister sees us and has a heart attack."