Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"She is made up of depths even the ocean couldn't fathom." -Jessica Katoff

-----

     My hair flies wildly behind my head as I drive. All of my windows are rolled down, and the radio is blasting some random indie song. My sunglasses rest on the bridge of my nose, shielding my eyes from the brightness, and my favorite white beanie sits comfortably on my head. I smile, singing along to the current song on the radio, which happens to be Another's Arms by Coldplay.

     The small red gas light appears on my dash, along with an annoying beep. I groan in frustration; I don't have time to stop for gas. I need to get as far away from my parents as I can before they realize I'm gone and come looking for me.

     I see a green exit sign approaching on my right, and the gas station is barely visible past the ramp. I pull onto the exit and drive straight to the small gas station.

     I get out of my car, slamming the door behind me, and go inside the gas station. A blast of foul air hits me as soon as the door is open. The bell above the door rings as I enter. The atmosphere smells of cigarette smoke and alcohol, along with cardboard and a faint trace of weed.

     I hesitantly approach the counter, where a middle-aged man with a bald spot is smirking at me. What hair he has left is black and slicked back with grease. I wrinkle my nose, laying a twenty on the counter. "Pump 5."

     "Alright, pretty thing," He chuckles quietly, ringing up the gas. I almost gag. The pen in his hand scribbles something on a nearby napkin and he quickly hands it to me. "Call me later?"

     "Oh, please," I roll my eyes, scoffing, and walk out the door.

     When I make it to my truck, I pump the gas hurriedly. I am about to climb into my seat when I see a boy leaning against the back on the truck. He's wearing a blue and white striped tee, paired with dark jeans and converse. Aviators cover his eyes as he looks around the parking lot.

     "Um, excuse me," I say, quirking an eyebrow at him. "What are you doing near my truck?"

     His head snaps towards me, and he grins. Just like I thought – perfect teeth. "Well, let me tell you the story," He pushes off the bed and walks towards me. I take a hesitant step backwards, my hand wrapped around the door handle. "I was walking around here and saw you pull up. I didn't recognize you,which is rather strange, because I know everyone in this town. Then I noticed that you must have gotten out of this-" He pauses, looking for the right word, "-lovely vehicle you have right here. So I decided to wait for you and introduce myself."

     "I'm literally two seconds from leaving this town forever, so you won't have to worry about me. Now just leave me alone and step away from my truck," I tell him, getting into the driver's seat and starting the engine.

     "But wait, I never got your name. You didn't get mine either," He leans against my window, causing me to lean away from him. The console stabs me in the back, but I ignore the pain.

     "I don't care to learn it. Goodbye," I switch into drive and take my foot off the brake.

     "Wait!"

     I slam down on the brakes again, looking at him with impatient eyes. "I'm not in the mood for games."

     "I'm Everett, okay? Everett Kennedy," He slips his Aviators down his nose, revealing gorgeous blue eyes. "My dad's at work twenty-four seven, and I'm tired of living in his shadow. He doesn't care about me."

     What a coincidence.

     "I need a way to piss him off, and I think that running away will do the job," He explains.

     "Okay," I shrug. "Drive somewhere then. Bye."

     "No, wait, okay? He took my car because of my grades and I need a way to get out of here. So, whatever your name is, please, please, please let me tag along, at least for awhile. I just need to get a few towns over and then you can drop me off. I'll do the rest by myself."

     "Leo James," I tell him.

     His eyebrows come together in confusion. "Is that your boyfriend, or-"

      "No," I groan, rubbing my temples. "My name. It's Leo. Now get in before I call the cops on you."

-----

     Hi there!

     Again, if you see an error in any chapter while reading, please leave a polite comment and I'll fix it as soon as possible. It would really be a big help for me :)

     I apologize for the chapter being so short because of pre-planning - all of them are, pretty much, but not short enough to be called a short story, I think.

     Dedicated to CottonCandySugarh for the cover she made me. Thanks so much!

     Like / Vote / Comment 

   Mack