Chapter 2

Sophie's Pov

I hate the last day of summer, sitting here thinking back to the first day when you had all these great plans, and in reality you spent most of it spread out on the couch watching day time TV like Jeremy Kyle while stuffing your face gaining on the pounds you spent months loosing for your 'wild summer'.

Me and my best friend Emily are the prime example for this, we spent weeks planning outfits hair places to go, now here we are a few months later sitting in some bar with a creepy old bartender who keeps smiling at us trying to see where it all went wrong.

What makes this experience worse is knowing it all starts again tomorrow, the first day of college.

As I sit here with my depressing thoughts Emily starts kicking me under the table while mumbling 'hot hot hot' to me, she’s really being dramatic the crisps aren't that bad, so to prove my point I shove half of them in my mouth and say 'man up.'

'No you fat bitch I'm on about them two boys that just walked in but thanks for spraying all your crisps in my face.' she says sarcastically

I turn to look at these so called 'hot hot hot guys' and find two boys staring back at me trying not to laugh, rude.

I turn round to Emily trying to swallow and say 'What's there problem? They might be slightly attractive doesn't give them the right to laugh at random people!' I say angrily.

Emily tries to keep a straight face while saying 'It might have something to do with you resembling a hamster, storing all your foods in your cheeks for later are we? And we both know there more than slightly attractive.'

Shit, I feel my face go bright red, I forgot about that.

I go to the bathroom to empty all of the crisps into the toilet and turn to see all these numbers on the wall like 'call me 4 a gd time' I nearly write Emily’s on there like 'free sex' but I stop myself knowing she'd kill me, she may look small and innocent but that girls vicious.

When I'm looking somehow a few boys have got in here and there's some really funny ones so I start to take pictures to show Emily, we’ll be prank calling these later.

I walk back out to the bar the find Emily on the deal or no deal machine, she’ll be occupied for a few hours.

I look up to see the creepy bartender hovering near me with a drink, 'Excuse me miss but you see that guy over there he says to buy you a drink and tell you a nice girl deserves a nice drink.’

I look over to see one of the boys from earlier smiling at me, I take the drink and hold it up to say cheers, I’m not one to turn anything free down.

He obviously mistakes my polite thanks for an ‘I want to be your friend’ and starts making his way over.

I briefly contemplate making a run for it out the door but well I don't run and he's really fit so I turn to call Emily and make sure she's got my back in case I need to make an exit, me and Emily have these 3 rules for a guy, strike one-to complimentary, he already a cheesy comment earlier but I'll let that slide. Strike two- getting to close and strike three- trying to kiss you, this is how we tell if we’re going to give this guy a chance, if they strike we signal to the other person and if they get 3 strikes the other person rushes in with an excuse to get us out of there.

He sits down in the seat next to me and says 'Hey sexy.'

For a few seconds I'm too busy admiring his blue eyes then I realise what he just said, I don't think so mate, I hold one finger up to signal strike one to Emily.

'Hi you' I reply back,

 He looks back amused and holds his hand out 'The names Luke.'

I shake his hand and say 'The names Sophie.'

I go to let go of his hand but he holds on stroking it, is this guy going for a record? I hold a second finger up behind my back to Emily.

I can see this guy isn't going to last long and my drinks nearly finished so I lean over and say  'I'm so thirsty, buy me another drink would you?'

He raises an eyebrow looking like he's about to tell me to fuck off then realises something and says sure and orders me water, free water. That's getting added onto the strike list.

I politely smile and force out a thanks. One thing I've learnt is not to say thanks to this guy because he takes this as green lights and as I look up he's leaning towards me about to kiss me.

Code red.

I wave 3 fingers behind my back urgently to Emily but she's not going to get here in time so I do the first thing I can think of and scrunch my face up pretending I'm about to sneeze, he jumps back covering his face and shrieks 'Holy shit.', alarmingly high for a boy.

I start to cough trying to cover my laugh but that makes it worse, he narrows his eyes at me realising I'm laughing at him, ‘Sorry just admiring how high pitch your scream is.' I smirk at him.

 Before he can reply Emily runs over looking flustered shouting 'Emergency!'

I try to look worried but I think it came across as constipated and ask her what's wrong, she obviously hadn't got that far in the plan because she just looks back at me like shit.

I give her the pull yourself together or you wish you were never born look and she starts stuttering out 'My my erm, uncle Bob?'

'Ok let's go!' I say and start to speed walk away.

Before I get far Luke grabs my arm and raises an eyebrow obviously not believing a word. 'Sorry.' I mumble.

'It’s fine, what’s your number?'

I pretend to look through my phone for it then come across the picture I took earlier and snigger to myself, I write down one of the boys number earlier who wrote 'up 4 anything' below it and give it him smiling sweetly.

I quickly make an exit after that, he’s going to have fun tonight.

'What's so funny, are you catching jokes with yourself again Soph?' Emily asks.

So I tell her the story and soon we’re rolling around in tears.

After we get over it I look at her disapprovingly 'What happened earlier you were that was such a bad excuse!'.

'Sorry I was trying to be original; I didn't plan that far and stop looking at me like that it’s not attractive'. She says laughing.

We make our way back to the college room were going to be staying in.

For once the last day of summer wasn't that bad, hopefully it’ll be a good year.