Chapter 2 The Fumble

Start from the beginning

First of all, why someone would take a pet to a therapist was beyond him and secondly the fact that she was serious about it scared him. He shook his head. He bet that Keeley chic would have gotten it. She probably would have played along.

The ends of his mouth lifted as he remembered their last conversation. She was going to be furious when she found out he spent her money on condoms. Served her right for not password protecting her debit card. Good thing she switched phones with someone as wonderful and understanding as himself. Otherwise, her bank account could have been wiped clean and she would have been bankrupt. In all honesty, she should be thanking him for teaching her an important life lesson.

"The only reason that girl was even interested in JT was because he was pumping iron like his life depended on it."

The smile on his face faded.

"He was in the zone," Aaron commented.

His fingers flexed at his side as he remembered the conservation he had with his dad yesterday.

"He didn't even notice that girl until you pointed her out, Finn."

"Don't get me started," Finn groaned. "I should have been the one taking her back to my room."

"Like you stood a chance," Kevin shot back. "She was out of your league."

Finn tilted his head back and shrugged. "You're right. She was completely out of my league. Hell, she was even out of JT's."

Expectant eyes turned toward him, but his mind blanked. "What?" he mumbled.

Mitch's brow furrowed as his eyes dropped to Talon's hand. Talon followed his gaze and realized his hands were stark white from clenching.

"Dude, so you agree?" Finn asked with a cheeky grin.

He nodded hesitantly, unsure to what he was agreeing to. Mitch gave him a questioning look as everyone else high-fived.

"Honk the horns—we finally got Harrington to admit he's not a God."

"Pigs do fly."

"I wonder if this is how children feel when they find out Santa Claus isn't real."

"Wait. Santa Claus isn't real?!"

Mitch held up a hand as the group broke out in laughter. "You guys should go hydrate. It's been a long practice."

Finn stole the football out of Mitch's grasp and started tossing it from one hand to the other. "We'll get water some back at the dorms."

"You guys should get some now. We don't want anyone to pass out again like last year." Coach had talked to both Mitch and Talon right before camp. He said one of their responsibilities was to ensure every player was getting enough water, carbs and electrolytes.

Finn's expression tightened at the order. "Aren't you going to drink too?"

"I will. I just need to talk to JT about some stuff."

Aaron gave a good-natured grin and saluted. "Whatever you say Captain, my Captain."

"Co-captain," Finn corrected. Bitterness leaked from his voice as his lips puckered.

An awkward silence fell over the group. Kevin and few of the others glanced uneasily at each other looking unsure of what to do or say.

Aaron stepped in and slung an arm over Finn's shoulder. "Thank God we're not part of that. I'd hate to spend extra hours with Coach after practice every day. Talk about a miserable way to spend a Friday afternoon." He steered Finn toward the sidelines where the water cooler was and gave a quick wink over his shoulder.