Chapter 1: Meeting Fate

My love for you is as permanent as the ink on your arms.

He got a text from Benny--again. He actually thought he could convince Dean to go to some stupid party when finals were on Tuesday. That would be quite the feat.

He texted him back; "You know I can't, I'm studying for finals."

And Benny quickly replied; "YOLO, Dean. YOLO"

Dean smirked to himself. "That's not true. We're living every second until death. YODO: you only DIE once."

Benny texted him; "whatever :p"

Dean grinned and got back to studying. He was currently focusing on quantum physics, which a lot of people thought was quite advanced, but Dean found it to be fairly simple. Then again, he was much smarter than the average junior.

He was using flashcards, his favorite technique for studying. Obviously he would have a partner for that, but no one ever wanted to join him. So, he always ended up studying alone.

"'The standard equation for a wave'," He read off to himself. "Easy one." He recited the equation with ease, never missing a beat. And when he flipped the card over, he found that he was accurate as well as fluent. "Perfect." He smiled to himself.

This went on for a few hours, and he occasionally switched from quantum physics to advanced mechanics and the like. As he studied, though, he soon came to realize something he'd never quite considered before. He was... lonely.

He had so many friends, yet, all at once, he was completely alone. Even with them by his side, he was always alone. It was as if there was a deep, black pit in his stomach that he couldn't quite fill. He decided that it had to have been due to his unique intellect, but there was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind saying otherwise.

He soon decided that it was getting late, and he should get some sleep. Perhaps all he needed was some rest to get these thoughts out of his head. He put away his study material and tried to sleep, only to find that he couldn't. He was unable to sleep the previous night as well. This was becoming a problem for Dean lately.

Not only was he simply not tired, but he was positively restless. He quietly went to the kitchen and made a glass of warm milk, figuring that would help. And, of course, it did not. He tried counting sheep, which he didn't even believe would work. And he was correct. Then he tried calculating pi.

"3.14159265358... 97932384626433832795...02884197169399... 375105820974...944592307816... 4062862089986280348...2534211706798214... 808... 651... 3... 2..."

And it nearly worked, until he realized he wasn't really falling asleep. He just got bored. Of course. After all, calculating pi was such a simple task. Perhaps if he made it a challenge, then he could finally get some well deserved rest.

And it hit him; the square root of pi.

"Alright. Square root of pi. 1.77245385... 0905516... 0272981... 67483341- I give up!"

He decided that sleep was impossible and decided to take a walk. He usually took late night walks to clear his mind. He changed into some blue jeans and a white T-shirt and threw on a maroon hoodie as it was cold out. 52 degrees Fahrenheit to be exact.

He quietly walked outside and realized that the wind chill dropped the temperature to 39 degrees, and he zipped up his hoodie. He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose and started walking down the pavement, shoving his hands in his pockets.

He checked the time on his cell phone as he walked and realized it was 12:18. A bit earlier than his last late night walk. This was how he spent many Friday nights lately. Studying, insomnia, then walk. The walking helped a bit. Not with the sleeping, obviously, but it just overall... helped. With thoughts in general.