1

*3 months after *

After traveling for almost 24 hours I finally made it to Texas. When I step the first time in America soil I couldn't help but feel a little scared. Here I was with 18 years old alone on my way to meet people that I have to call my family for 11 months.
I looked around the airport and all I could see was men with Cowboys hats. Yup just like I imagined it. A few minutes I see a poster saying AFS which is the name of my organization.
Holding it were an old couple that seem really nice. The first thing that came through my mind was that this wasn't the family that I was supposed to go too. When I found out that I was coming to Texas, my organization email me a bunch of information and pictures about my host family. I have 2 brother, Ryan and Garrett. Ryan is 14 so he is still in middle school and Garrett is 18 and he is in the same class as me so that meant that me and him are going to graduate together. I only have a mom because she just got a divorce. Her name is Elaina and she's a doctor.
"Hi we are AFS helpers and we are here to take you to meet your host family" the old lady said. I think that her name is Linda because that's what all of the paper she had in her hand said.
"Ok let me help you with your bags"
"Thank you" I was so nervous, shy and tired. I didn't even know what to say to them. I feel like they were constantly trying to make conversation with me in the car on our way to meet my family but I honestly couldn't care less about their questions about me and my flight. All I could think about was my host family.
When we get to the hotel I saw them right away. They look exactly like the people I saw from the pictures. They had big big smiles on their faces but then I noticed that there were 2 other people with them.
"Hi sofia it's so nice to meet you. You're probably tired so let's head home" Elaina said after me awkwardly hugging everyone. The other 2 girls were introduced to me as garrett's closest friends. They looked nice but everything in them was different. The way they dressed with boots and shorts and their strong accent.
The car ride with them was awkward. The kept asking me question about everything but I was so tired that I couldn't even function anymore.
"You so probably go to sleep when we get home, you have school tomorrow"
School?! Tomorrow?! Omg but I just got here