𝐯𝐢𝐢. THE SOCIOPATHIC STRANGER

Začať od začiatku

I bit the inside of my cheek. "We buried the hatchet?" I lied.

Jo walked past me, obviously not believing anything I was saying. I knew she'd catch on eventually. I just hope I bought Damon enough time to stall her. My phone buzzed in my back pocket and I pulled it out to see I had a text from Cassandra.

[cassandra] meet me at the restaurant next to the college. we have business to discuss

[janelle] be there in 10

Wonder what this is about now.

———

I pulled a seat up next to Cassandra who sat the bar with a glass in her hand. "What is it?" I asked.

It was kind of weird seeing her out in a public setting, let alone drinking alcohol. She always seemed to be the proper lady-like type that would slap you on the wrist if you cursed in front of her. But I still love her anyways.

"The ritual to bring your friend back will have to be put off another day. We can't do it tonight," She stated, not even bothering to look at me when she spoke.

"Why not? What's wrong?"

"There's been a turn of events," she began. "Something much more substantial will be happening in the next hour, or so. We can't take the risk of interfering with it. The grand design could be altered in terrible ways if we change anything."

"Okay," I said, uneasily. It's not like I could've disagreed with her anyway. "So why am I here?"

I knew there was more to the story than just canceling a spell. Cassandra needed me for something else.

"You know the Parker family," she said, gesturing behind me and I looked over to see Liv and Luke walking out the back door. "And I'm quite certain you're aware of the merge that will commence this evening, granting a new leader of the Gemini Coven. I'm going to need you to keep an eye on one of them, just for safety precautions. Nothing major."

Why am I always the one stuck with the babysitting jobs? Any other task and I will be fine.

I nodded, unwillingly. "All right. I'll do it, but no promises that I'll like it. That family has some serious issues."

"Thank you," she smiled. "Now, you go home and get some rest. We have big day tomorrow and you're going to need the energy."

"Tell me about it," I laughed, standing up to give her a hug. Just as I was about to leave, I turned back to Cassandra. "By the way, who am I watching over exactly?"

"All in good time, darling. All in good time."

———

"She's okay, right? I mean, to say the least."

"Yes. Caroline's with her now. The doctors are taking care of everything," Stefan said after calling to tell me what happened to Liz after I left the hospital.

When Kai sucked the magic out of Liz, it made her vulnerable to her illness. She almost died tonight, but luckily she didn't. I could only imagine what Caroline would have to go through if her mother didn't come back to life.

"Good. You should stay with her, she needs someone." I smirked, knowing that he knew what I meant by 'needing someone'. "Speaking of doctors, have any of you heard from Jo?"

"Damon went out to look for her. I haven't heard back from him yet. But there's no guarantee that she's gonna make it through that merge, you know that, Janelle."

I paused for a second to take in what Stefan just said. "I do, and I'm sure Ric is going to take it hardest if anything were to happen to her."

"You're right about that one," he muttered. "Listen, I gotta get back to Caroline. I'll be home in a few hours, Nells. You stay safe, all right?"