Chapter Fourteen

Hours upon hours passed as we sat in the waiting room before the awkward silence grew the better of Lisa. She was never able to keep her thoughts to herself. Maybe by the way I looked or by the way I acted, she knew something had happened.

"Can I talk to you? Alone?" She asked as she already pulled me away before I could agree or refuse.
"What's going on? And who is he?" She asked motioning toward Vincent who was having an unknown topic conversation with Alex.

"A friend."

"I'm your only friend. Who is he?"

"Vincent. He invited me to the car show a few days ago and asked me to stay since it was such a long drive..."

"And..." She asked wanting to know the more gory details.

"And we got very close."

"I knew it, you're freaking glowing even in distress. So, how was he?"

"I'm not having this conversation here."

"Fine, I just need to know one thing...are you okay?"

"Yeah." I said unable to hide my smile.

As we talked, I saw how Vincent's eyes were dead set on me. Almost as if trying to read my lips. Just to taunt him, I turned so he couldn't see me.

"I met someone." Lisa said with a large smile. "Since you ditched me at the club to go be with your new beau, I found a new one. A good one. He is interested in more than sex for once..." She began describing him and I found it to be an impressing situation due to how many adjectives she used. "He's so intelligent, sweet, frugal but in a good way, he's dominating," I nearly choked at this word. "He's strong, opinionated, respected, friendly, sexy, charming-" The list was endless. I did enjoy seeing her happy though. She truly deserved it after her last string of losers. Most avid coke users or unemployed and rejected guitarists, it was nice to hear her excited about someone. "He's a lawyer. Jace."

"Oh?" Crap. She was having a fling with Vincent's best friend. But when he explains his methods for a relationship what will that mean for her and me? Or her and Vincent? Or just her?

"You seem upset."

"Just that I don't want to share you." I said covering quickly.

"I'll always have time for you. Unlike you." She said teasing me. "We should get back...I don't want to miss anything..." She said looking to Carly and Alex.

"What do you mean?"

"She's pregnant..."

I instantly grew ill. No! I felt as if I was in the middle of a bad soap opera. Was it his or that other guy she was sucking face with a few days ago. I stayed in the hall as Lisa returned and Vincent came toward me.

"I take it she told you?"

"Did you know this from your people?" I said taking my anger out on him. Instantly apologizing, he nodded and accepted before shaking his head.

"They were discussing baby names and changing your room into a nursery."

"So they expect me to just move out?"

"No. I offered for you to stay with me. You and I both know you need more than this town."

"This is home. I know it doesn't compare to the big city but this is where I want to stay."

He paused. "Does this mean you changed your mind on my contract?"

"I don't want to discuss that now Vincent. My mother has a ventilator in her right now and we are arguing on whether or not I'll allow you to whip and tie me up."