12. Half-Baked Potato

Start from the beginning

"It was Clancy who asked me to talk to you about this in the first place." Ade growled. "She's worried about you, we all are! Florence, I don't think you really understand how deep you've dug yourself into this mess. Clancy's concerned. She thinks that Wolfe Sterling might be taking advantage of your naivety to gain the upperhand with your parents, that you're the pawn. And don't even get me started  on the attraction part-"

 "Oh God, Ade!" I was furious. "It's not like that-"

"Oh, I wouldn't know what it's like since you didn't tell me shit."

I trailed along behind him, utterly distraught. And angry. I was angry, too. 

"The administration building is right there." His voice said close by my ear. I covered my face with my hands, too upset to look. I was afraid I was going to start bawling right there and then. Ade was the only person in the world who I kept nothing from. I was going to tell him about the Crowns. I guess that wasn't necessary anymore. Ade kicked a rock around, his hands shoved deep into his pocket. "Whatever. I'm late. I have to get to class."

I don't know if Ade left me in the middle of the sidewalk or not. I heard his footsteps shuffle away, but then come right back. I kept my face covered with my hands. Peeking through the spaces between my fingers, I walked to a stone statue of Harry Truman and sat down on the bench beneath it. A lump rose in my throat, making it hard to swallow. The way Ade was speaking made me believe he was really done with our friendship.

His shoes came into view. 

"Florence-"

"Go away." I mumbled.

"Hey." Ade's voice softened. I felt him take the seat beside me on the bench. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you. I was just...I don't know, upset? That I had to hear it from Clancy rather than you. It was wrong, and I apologize. Maybe you were going to tell me and I just came at it too soon. Florence, you're my best friend. I don't want to figh- wait, are you crying?"

I moved my hands and furiously rubbed my watery eyes. "No!"

"I'm sorry. I was being mean."

"Yes, you were, you jerk." I sniffled, feeling a little bit better now.

"Call me whatever name you want. I'll give you a free pass this time."

I carefully thought over it. After a moment of contemplating, I said, "You're a half-baked potato."

Ade frowned. "What, so the other half of me is raw?"

"The oven stopped working."

Ade sighed. "So when you were talking about the superpower thing, the ability to time travel...were you talking about the Crowns? Because I agree with that. I wouldn't want them to get involved in my life, either. Half the people, more than half actually, end up dead. I can't imagine what you're going through, Florence. What your parents are going through. Must be terrifying."

"Terrifying is not the word I'd use to describe it." I mumbled. Terrified? Sure. But also intimidated, scared, nervous, angry, and kind of turned on. I mean, that thing with Wolfe last night had me choked up so bad I didn't catch a wink of sleep after he left. "But yes, that's what I was referencing to."

Ade suddenly turned to me, his eyes shining. "I want to help, Florence."

"I can't even help my parents, Ade." I said. The curl of frustration came back when I thought of the Crowns. "What am I supposed to do? Wolfe Sterling forced them into signing the contract. It's legal, for the most part. I can't turn them in. They're going to kill my parents. And then he's going to kill me. I fucked up too many times already. I can't do anything, Ade, and neither can you. Please, don't get involved. Wolfe Sterling won't think twice about killing you, too."

"So, what?" He asked. "You're just going to sit by and let them-"

"Yes, Ade. Let the adults take care of it."

"Florence, do you know what Clancy told me?" Ade asked softly. He didn't wait for an answer. "She told me that that man, Wolfe Sterling, he's already taken an interest to you. Clancy expressed her concern over his clemency towards you. It can only mean one thing, she said. You are only giving him more reason to stay, Florence. Just because you're here, he's going to want to be here, too. An attraction is the worst thing that could possibly happen right now-"

"An attraction?" I repeated angrily. Okay, so maybe last night did hint towards some unfortunate feelings and revelations. But they didn't mean anything. Wolfe hated me just as much as I hated him, I was sure of it. "Ade, there is nothing between him and I. Nothing. I don't want there to be. I want him locked up and out of my life. Is that too much to ask for?"

"I guess, to them, it is."

I whistled a sigh from between my teeth. "I don't know what to do, Ade."

He was silent for a second. "Neither do I, Florence. Just..."

"What?"

"Just don't get yourself hurt."