Chapter 3: "I'm in"

Começar do início

I stood there twiddling my thumbs as Eve opened the door and poked her head through. "Dad, Ophelia Shelley is here to see you."

"Send her in." Eve looked over at me and gave me a reassuring smile.

"I'll leave you with him". She noticed my twiddling thumbs and nervous expression as I bit my lip.

"Don't worry, he's a big softy really". As she turned and retreated down the corridor, back the way she'd just come, she gave me a comforting pat on the shoulder.

"Hopefully we'll see a bit more of each other now you're in the area". I smiled at her, nodded and made my way into the room. Here goes Fee. If I made it out alive, I'd happy dance even more than I did when I found out that I was owed ice cream.

In the very centre of the room sat a large desk. Along the walls were pictures of people and wolves alike, any normal human would think that Alpha Eliot had some sort of animal fetish. Some pictures were small, some were large. It was like one large mismatched collage. I couldn't help but think that I'd love to spend the afternoon browsing the walls of this room.

Sat at the large desk in front of me was the most powerful werewolf in the country. It was a face I'd only seen a year ago, and his distinguished features hadn't changed a bit.

"Ah. It's nice to see you again Ophelia. The last time we met it was much briefer than I would have liked. Please do take a seat". His long arm motioned towards a swivel chair opposite to him. I made my way across the room and sat down where he pointed. As soon as I sat down, I moved my hands to my map and started fidgeting. I can't help it, I'm nervous!

"Now. What can I help you with today?" He looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Well Alpha Eliot". I began, nervously looking down at the hands clasped in my lap. "I have enrolled at the university of Leeds to study medicine for the next five years. In order to do this I will be living in the city of Leeds, but won't be apart of your pack. I've come today to ask to be allowed on your land during the duration of my degree." I was unusually formal with the man sitting in front of me. This surreal situation had completely stopped my usually clumsy and awkward self, I had suddenly become a stuttering, blithering idiot though, apparently. 

"I see. And may I ask why you are not with your pack right now? Higher education is not something that's usually seen in our kind". He looked at me quizically.

"My brother and I left our pack around a year ago. We've been moving around together ever since. As for the reason why I'm going to medical school- I am not particularly fond of being a wolf, I'd rather live my life like a human."

"You should be proud of your wolf Ophelia, it is an honour, not a burden" He frowned at me, obviously not pleased with my dislike of our kind.

"With all due respect Alpha Eliot, being a wolf has never been a good thing in my life. Apart from being able to sniff out bacon from a mile off, that is". I smiled at him trying to lighten the mood.

He chuckled in response, leaning forward in his chair to clasp his two hands together whilst he rested his elbows on his desk.

"Yes well. Smelling bacon can never be seen as a bad thing. Now before I give you my answer, I need to know why you and your brother fled your pack. That can't have been an easy decision." He prompted me to open up. I wasn't getting the best vibe though, and I wasn't really feeling having a heart to heart with the huge man in front of me. I hadn't come here for some sort of mother's meeting, and he just wasn't screaming trustworthy at me to be quite honest.

On top of all that, this was the question I had hoping to avoid, and not for my sake either. Something about his penetrating gaze told me that answering him wasn't really an option though.