Chapter 20- Helpless

*Kendall's POV* 

We reached the other edge of the lake and I don't think Shay registered that yet. Her head was still leaned onto my shoulder and it's almost as if she thought this was some fantasy, just as I was thinking too. 

Except, what was about to happen, was not a fantasy, but a cold nightmare. 

 Reality started reigning on me. 

I couldn't find it in myself to step away from the danger I was about to step into or find the courage to carry on with this. I couldn't really think straight at the moment. I was only a little while into my thoughts, than the grey haired man who was rowing the boat, stood up and turned to us. 

'Sir,' he said, awaiting my attention. 

 'Oh, right.' My sudden head movement up to watch the man shook Shay out of her dreamy state, to raise off of me. She looked at me and smiled. 

The smile with a light touch of shyness that made that unexpected warmth rush through me.Shailene eased herself off the seat of the gondola and did what I was supposed to do. She extended her hand toward mine. 

I looked at her for a moment then took her hand and she pulled me while I raised myself up onto my feet. I reluctantly took the blindfold from her hands, by pulling her hands onto my waist and slipping it out. I rest my forehead on hers and spoke. 

 'There's something else....' I trailed off, because my thoughts took over. 

'Is there? What is it?' she whispered, as she was already so close to me. 

'Well, it's a...next surprise. You need to put this back on.' 

I pulled back a bit giving my hands enough space to hold it out in front of her. 

 'Oh,' she looked a bit taken back. 'Okay..' She was beginning to smile. She tucked her hair behind her ears and turned around facing her back to me.

 I raised my hands and began to work the blindfold into place. 

Why, why, why. Why did I have to be in such a situation? 

 I just realized and also, I really cannot believe that not only I belonged to a family of psychopaths, but I had fallen for Shay. I really had. 

Well, at least I think this is what it supposed to feel like. 

I feel so...I felt as if I was suffering from dementia.What was bothering me the most, was that she was trusting me. That was what was bothering me the most. 

We stepped off the boat, hand in hand, and onto the banks of no turning back. Not like I could have anyways. I knew there were cameras set up in the trees. 

 We had dropped off at a back strip of the Broker's palace. 

Well, it wasn't a palace, but it was grand so I liked to call it that. Real glorious...not like it was much of a financial problem for us to build a palace. We had a lot of money because of the type of work Jared has this 'family' in. Hitlists upon hitlists and stalking, build the way up to such prestigious property. 

This was just an escape route I was on at the moment and I looked up in time to see the camera turning it's head to keep eyes on me...well us. 

There was a roadway that Melanie would be using to get Andrew here but I had to option to use here and it was perfect for the romantic plan I had at first. It was certainly working out. Oh how I wish I could go back and kick myself for all the selfish and atrocious things I had planned to do.

 I think I was beginning to resent myself. 

 There was a five minute walk left to go on the jungle-like pathway. It wasn't my intentions or to my knowledge that this was about to happen. I saw two of Jared's place-guard men run up to us and it was in no time, I was not able to physically stop them. They nodded at me in the usual manner that they do whenever they see me and they did it again right now as if I was expecting them.

They were both well built, I saw them all the time. But I swear though, it's like they never change. They've been about the same height, had the same jet black hair and have worn the same black 'uniform' for as long as I knew they existed, that is, since I could've seen when I was just a few months old. The difference in them though, that their age only showed in their faces. You could just see it if you study people's features carefully enough.. The wrinkled foreheads, one with the scar on his left cheek....they were taking things over in my situation. 

'What are you guys doing?' I asked in the most serious and business-like tone I could manage. 

'Following orders sir.' The older of them, the one with the scar spoke. Just as he said that, he pressed his earpiece closer to his ear and then nodded as if he could see them...well, they were probably seeing him through the cameras. 

 Without warning, just after he had listened to the person on the other end of the earpiece, he grabbed Shay's hand roughly and I could see her mouth open just a bit. 

'Kendall?' She was not supposed to experience this. 

This was not part of the plan. No. No. No. It definitely was not. 

 I stepped forward and tried to grab her other hand. The other guard put his hand out to prevent me from touching her any more. 

Just like that, she slipped out of my reach, possibly my life. 

This was what I was doing to stay alive. I watched them carry her as she fought up with them until they effortlessly dragged her to the Broker palace...to a holding room or something. 

I listened to her screams and questioning shouts for me as I just put my head in my hands and thank the heavens that she was blindfolded and didn't have to see this...where I wasn't even making an attempt to save her from the 'kidnapper's' hands. 

She trusted me, I was stuck in this mess, I regret everything I made my brother go through which includes this situation.

Then I remembered there was this quote I had seen somewhere, but I just can't remember where...it's in a slight different context though. It went something like; 'If you really love someone, you wouldn't let them slip away, no matter how hard the situation is.'

But, the thing is, in this case...there was nothing I could do about it.