The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 5

[[A/N:: Another big thanks to simply_forgotten303 for making a 2nd cover for me/this story =) check it out over there ---->>>]]

The first day of classes was a blur. Starting at eight sharp and continuing through until six-o-five, Kate’s head was in a whirlwind. There was an hour break at one, and two five minute breaks in each class, but by the time she was back in her dorm, Kate was mentally drained. She was handed out class rules, study guides, assignments, and outlines. She had a total of five chapters to read, two due tomorrow and the other three due Wednesday, with a quiz over each. Plus an online article to read. 

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, Kate sat at her desk, her head resting on her hands, elbows propped up on the cool wood of her desk. She had called in a to-go order from the diner down the street, and pulled out the turkey club sandwich from the bag and pulled away the wrapper. After a few bites and a sip from her bottle of water, Kate decided there was no time like the present to get started with her workload. Since she was already at her desk, she decided she might as well get the online article out of the way, and then continue with the two book chapters due tomorrow. ‘God, help me through this semester,’ she silently prayed, punching in the address to the article in the bar at the top of her browser. The article ended up being fairly short (as far as medical articles go), and  was pretty interesting, the topic being ‘medical ethics.’ Being the speed reader that she was, Kate got through the article in a short matter of time. Wanting to get as much done as she could right away, she pulled out one of her books and read the assigned chapter, ‘Medicine and You.’ After a good solid hour of reading and note-taking, Kate had coursed her way through that, also. 

“Time for a little break,” Kate said to herself. Glancing at the alarm clock on her nightstand, it read 8:13 PM. Kate would give herself a break until 8:30, and then it’d be back to the books. No need to overload her brain all at once. She checked her email for new messages, and seeing there weren’t any, continued on to Facebook. 

Browsing over her friends’ status updates and pictures, a number 1 appeared over her notifications area, and a blue box at the bottom left of her screen read ‘Pete Peterson has wrote on your wall.’ Clicking on ‘Profile’ at the top right of the page, Kate was a little intrigued as to what Pete had to say on her profile page. 

‘Hope you had a good first day of school.’ it read. 

“How did he know that today ---” Kate started to ponder aloud, and then realized that it was everyone’s first day of school. Duh. She clicked her cursor in the comment box and replied back, ‘It was okay. Hectic, but I expected that. Thanks for asking.’ Re-reading what she had typed, she hit enter and waiting a second before closing the browser and her laptop all together. Looking at her clock, she realized it was 8:32. Time to get back to work.

At precisely 9:46PM, the second assigned chapter that was due for tomorrow was finally read, in addition to fairly detailed notes written in her notebook dedicated for that particular class. With an audible sigh, and a whoosh of her book shutting, Kate placed all her school materials on her nightstand and picked up her cell phone. Navigating to the texting menu, she sent Amanda a quick text: 

‘Hey… haven’t forgotten about you. Crazy busy with the first day of school… had lots of stuff to read up on…Just wanted to say hi J’ 

Hitting ‘send,’ Kate returned her phone to its previous resting spot next to the alarm clock. While she was changing into her pajamas, Kate’s phone buzzed; she had a new text message. It was from Amanda. 

‘LOL.. It’s ok. I’ve been really busy, too. Going to hit the sack now. TTYL.’ 

Kate didn’t respond to the text. She didn’t want to irritate her new friend. Besides, she was beyond ready for bed herself.

****