The Facebook Stalker -- Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

The orientation went smoothly, as far as orientations were concerned. Papers were handed out, they went over the school and course rules and guidelines, and were told that where they sat Monday was where they would sit for the remainder of the semester, at least. It was easier to do roll call this way. After an hour and forty-five minutes, the orientation was over. Kate all but ran out of the room. 

Back in her dorm, she hurriedly packed the last of her things for the weekend. The plane ride home was short, and then a thirty to forty-five minute drive to her house after that, depending on the traffic. Her last ‘free’ weekend until God only knew when was here at last, and Kate was in a hurry to get it started. She had bought tickets online last night, and had printed out the paper confirming so. Double checking her purse to make sure it was still tucked nicely in next to her wallet, Kate locked her door and headed down the hall and out the door.

****

A little over three hours later, Kate was lying on her old bed. She had arrived shortly before, and was a little worn out from the airport, plane ride, and her family’s excited talk all the way home in the car. Kate’s phone, that was resting next to her on the bed suddenly started vibrating. It was Megan. Smiling, Kate answered, “Hello, Sunshine!”

“Ah! Kate! Please tell me you’re at your house already!” came Megan’s excited voice from the other end.

Laughing, Kate replied, “Why, yes I am.” 

“Well, that’s really great, because I’m right down the road from your house. I was gonna be really upset if I had to make small talk with your parentals.”

“It’s ok,” Kate told her, laughing, “you can come on up. I’m in my room.” Ending the call, Kate sat up, her eyes moving around her old room, the bedroom she had grown up in. Unexpectedly, her mind wandered to her new ‘friend’ Pete Peterson. Who was this guy, anyways? Logging onto Facebook, Kate clicked on his picture and waited to be redirected to his profile. Under location it said: USA. Well, if that wasn’t as general as possible. They didn’t have any friends or interests in common. Under the ‘info’ tab, it said that he  was male, interested in women, he was single, and his religious and politics beliefs were ‘other.’ 

“Huh.” Kate said out loud, clicking on the ‘photo’ tab. Just the one picture there that he used for his profile picture. The sound of Kate’s bedroom opening caught her attention, and looking up, she saw her friend Megan. Pete Peterson forgotten, at least for now, Kate rose up from her bed and hugged her best friend. She smelled of vanilla and tanning lotion. “Trying to soak in all the sun’s rays before the cold weather sets in, huh?” Kate said, smiling.

“You know it!” Megan replied. “What were you doing? Facebooking, I bet!” 

“Well, yeah….” Kate started to tell her about her new ‘friend,’ but she didn’t have time.

“Don’t worry about Facebook. There’s a huge party in your honor tonight over at Mark Redmond’s house. You need to shower and change so we can get going!” Megan informed her. 

With Facebook and Pete Peterson completely forgotten about, Kate rushed into the bathroom to get ready.

****

Waking the next morning, disorientation momentarily overcame her. Blinking several times, trying to clear the fog from her eyes and her mind, Kate remembered she was in her old bedroom at her parents’ house. The taste of stale beer coated her mouth and tongue, and her head and stomach started to swoon in unison. “Ugh. Oh….” Rushing for the bathroom across, the hall and throwing herself over the toilet seat, she remembered why she never drank. Kate plus alcohol equals a morning spent praying to the porcelain God, no matter if she drank one, or one hundred. Washing her face and hands in the sink, she thoroughly brushed her teeth as to erase every hint of alcohol and cotton mouth that was there.