I gesture towards the dress. "What about the dress?"

"Sleep in your panties." He winks, and I can see the old him quickly returning. The boy I comforted and cried with is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

I frown.

He rolls his eyes. "Okay, Princess. I'll get you one of my old shirts to sleep in." He rose from his spot on the floor, and went to the closet. He returns a second later with an oversized t-shirt that read MADE IN CALIF on the front that reminds me oddly enough of Harley. It's dark green, and smells like axe cologne. I slip it over my head, and leave my dress on the floor. He notices my lingering gaze on the bulletin board over his bed. "Oh, that's nothing. I mapped out the palace a few times. I'll let you have one to find your way around... I honestly figured that my father has more of those watches hidden somewhere, but I couldn't find them."

"Could I convince your parents to let you go?"

Castiel snorts. "When pigs fly."

Eventually, he switches off the black light and we fall asleep -- swallowed by the darkness that has a hold on each of us.

*****************************

In the morning, we're woken up by Persephone stomping angrily into his room accompanied by a very tired looking Xavier -- still in his bloodstained shirt from the previous night. She looks a little surprised to see me here. Still, seeing her son's bruised face, her anger seems to be evaporating from her every pore; can be heard by every competitor in the castle. "I had to find out from Maggie that you'd gotten into a fight last night." She hissed angrily. "I searched the camera footage from last night, and you know what I saw?" She hit Xavier upside the head, and he flinched. "I saw this idiot sneaking into the library with her." Persephone hisses and points at me. "First, she's sneaking into the library with her servant, and the next morning she's in your bed, Castiel? I didn't see everything that happened, but I can bet they weren't reading books in the dark." Her eyes shone like embers. Ready to explode. "You should know better. There are five other girls here just for you, waiting for your attention, and you're wasting it on -- "

"You brought Ariel here." Castiel hisses as he sits up.

"Eliminate her." Persephone insists.

Xavier meets Castiel's gaze, and then he looks at me.

I glance at Castiel, and wait anxiously for his answer. "Cas -- " I begin, but he holds up a hand to shush me. He faces his mother. "No." He spits.

"I brought Ariel here, and I can take her away. In the dead of night, while you're asleep. I could do it; call Charon here to take her to the fields of punishment."

"If Ariel goes, I'll follow." Castiel shouted at her. He shrunk out of bed to face her. "I'll have her stay with me every night if I have to." They lock gazes. "You always take everything good away from me. Well, not anymore. The problem -- " He glances at Xavier, who's got his eyes trained upon the ground. " -- will be dealt with accordingly... we've settled our differences last night. This is my business. Not yours."

"Fine," Persephone narrows her eyes. "One more chance." She shoves Xavier away from me. "But if I see anymore late night library getaways, I'm going to be sending the both of them away." She poked a finger against Castiel's chest, and pointed at Xavier. "If you think you're so tough, you're going to be the one to tell your father about this, and you're going to be the one to decide Xavier's final punishment. His fate lies in your hands, and you'd better decide right." Her gaze moves to me. "Meanwhile, the only consequences your dear Ariel faces is being assigned to a new servant." Anger rose in my chest. Her eyes glitter with amusement; begging me to say something, but I don't. She whistles, and the door to Castiel's room opens.

An unfamiliar servant stands in the doorway. His stance is rigid and his eyes stare at the ground until Persephone calls him in. "Samson, meet your new assignment." The servant, Samson, does not speak or move. He's more obedient than Xavier could ever been, and I have a feeling, a dreadful feeling, that I will not be able to speak with Xavier for a long time. "Escort Miss Caverly to her room. Let her go to the bath-house. Bring her food. However, do not let her out of that room, and do not let anyone in without my permission."

"But -- " I stutter, sliding out of bed. "What will happen to -- "

"Xavier?" Persephone smiles. "I guess you'll have to wait and find out. Now get out of my son's room before I change my mind, and ship you off to the fields of punishment. And for god's sakes... put some pants on."

I follow Samson out of the room. Xavier is watching; looking so hurt and betrayed that it brings tears to my eyes.

In the corridor, I ask: "So, what's going to happen to him?" But Samson is a robot. He walks straight forward with his hands behind his back and his shoulders poised. I dance in front of him, wave my hand in front of his face, shout insults to get his attention, but no matter how much I try to get Samson's input on Xavier, he doesn't speak. He simply escorts me to my room, and babysits the door outside.