"Dearest Julia," she began carefully, hardly knowing the right words to use, "I feel from this account of the evening that you like Lord Russell a great deal. Is that so?"

Catherine tried her best to speak softly and gently, making it clear that she enquired out of concern rather than to pry into Julia's affairs unnecessarily. She felt very grateful of the closeness between herself and her cousin at that moment, otherwise she would have been blushing horribly at the thought of making such private enquiries into another lady's business. But although Catherine herself did not blush, Julia did; her cheeks coloured in quite a becoming way, and she gave a rather high-pitched, self-conscious laugh as if she did not know whether to be pleased or not.

"He is so handsome, Catherine – and so amiable!" Julia replied, still flushed. "Yes, I will admit that I do like him very much."

"It is as I thought," said Catherine gravely.

"But – Catherine!" exclaimed Julia indignantly, evidently noting her cousin's lack of jollity at the declaration. "Whatever do you mean by this solemn behaviour? Why, one might think that you are not happy for me! Pray do tell me what you are thinking, for I cannot bear the thought of you not sharing my joy!"

Catherine gave a troubled sigh before replying.

"You must not think that the cause of my unhappiness is due to any ill-feeling towards you, dear cousin," she told Julia earnestly. "Why, it is the complete opposite! I think only of your happiness when I say that I do not think a match with Lord Russell would be prosperous."

"Not prosperous!" exclaimed Julia incredulously. "Not prosperous, indeed! What could be more prosperous than a match with a man of his consequence, and such a charming one besides?"

"I cannot disagree with you on the first point, but on the latter I have reason to believe that Lord Russell is not as charming as you find him – at least, not the real Lord Russell."

"The 'real' Lord Russell – what nonsense is this?" cried Julia, who, much to Catherine's horror, was now becoming quite worked-up. "Why do you speak to me in riddles, Catherine? I beg that you stop this and tell me plain what you mean, this instant!"

"What I mean, Julia, is that I think Lord Russell's charming behaviour is nothing but an act in public, so that people do not become aware of his rakish ways," said Catherine exasperatedly.

As soon as the words were out of her mouth she regretted uttering them; no good could come of speaking with such bluntness about the man Julia so admired. Sure enough, her cousin instantly bristled, cheeks flushing with anger this time.

"And what rakish ways are these?" Julia demanded. "What proof have you of these severe allegations you make against Lord Russell?"

"I have no proof as such, Julia, but my aunt believes him to be a wild gentleman," said Catherine desperately. "And I myself detected falseness in his nature when he was conversing with me last night."

"I detected no such falseness," retorted Julia. "He certainly behaved in a more gentlemanly manner than Professor Lawes – I hardly heard him say two words to anyone."

Except Miss Russell, thought Catherine bitterly. The memory was still etched unpleasantly at the forefront of her mind, and she became distracted for a moment as she tortured herself with the image of Professor Lawes' warm smile as he bestowed his praise upon the beautiful, accomplished Miss Russell, whilst sparing herself only a pitying glance. Lord Russell had indeed acted in a more gentlemanly manner than the professor; she could not argue with that. She did, however, feel certain that there was more to the dashing young viscount than his wit and charm, but there was to be no convincing Julia at this moment.